Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really confusing problem with website!

Options
  • 04-03-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

Bit of a problem here. Basically I have uploaded the homepage of a website, www.dabble.ie, and it is working fine. That is, it is working fine from everywhere bar within the university I go to. Entering the web address into IE returns the attached screenshot, but I can almost guarentee you that it will come up with the actual website if you try clicking the website link. The attached screenshot is what I was getting just after domain registration, before I changed the nameservers over to the correct ones. Has anyone ever encountered this before?

Any help much appreciated, as I am at a complete loss right now!

Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bald? er, dash!

Cache?
    Try F5 / Refresh

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paperplanes1988

Cache?
    Try F5 / Refresh

Was thinking that myself, but have tried loads of times. Have viewed on different PC's from different connections within the campus, and have left it for about three days now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

When did you change the namservers can take up to 24 hours for all nameservers to propagate over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paperplanes1988

Sposs wrote: »
    When did you change the namservers can take up to 24 hours for all nameservers to propagate over.

Changed the nameservers on Monday. I noticed this was happening a few hours afterwards, so I thought I would leave it 24 hours as you say, but it is still occuring now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

propogate for the loose.

you could try setting up a different DNS server from your machine (if you can). that way you know the uni dns servers are out of sync

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Cache?
    Try F5 / Refresh

F5/Refresh doesn't always empty the cache.

Try the browser settings (e.g. Tools - Internet Options in IE, Tools - Options in Chrome) to explicitly empty Temporary Internet Files

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Its most likely not a caching issue in the browser.
    the caching issue would be on the Uni's DNS servers.
    when the DNS update was made on monday to the main IEDR servers, all the other nameservers have a cached value of that on their servers - usually they are pretty quick is getting the change out. my ie down propogated with in day ( i was well surprised)
    Propogation is what is described as the new IP address of the webserver being copied by the other DNS server from the main domain registry (IEDR)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

That is, it is working fine from everywhere bar within the university I go to.

Likely to be the Uni's own DNS caching, ignoring the TTL on the domain. I.e. they are caching DNS queries for dabble.ie for longer than what the records for dabble.ie say they should be. Many ISPs ignore TTLs too, in an attempt to keep DNS traffic down.

Unfortunately, if that is the case, there's not much you can do about it, other than to either contact them or wait a while longer (until their cached query expires).

You can check with tools like dig or nslookup (depending on your OS) to confirm that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

try CTRL+F5. that'll force a full refresh on the college proxy server as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 OFlaherty

It sounds as if the UNI's DNS is doing some caching and you'll just have to wait.

Another possibility is that the UNI is caching sites locally depending on how their network is set up to reduce bandwidth use. Again, you'd just have to wait until your site falls out of the cache.

• Advertisement
Advertisement