Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise Music

Options
  • 04-03-2010 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

I really don't get noise music.

I like some noisy stuff, like bits of Sonic Youth and Fennesz, and then noisy stuff that's just extreme versions of other types of music, like bits of Aphex Twin and Autechre, John Coltrane, Gyorgi Ligeti, and I've heard some Boris and Sunn 0))) stuff, but I cannot get my head around things like Merzbow. But I'm very interested. I don't hate it, I just don't get it.

So, er, discuss. I just want to see what others think, especially fans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I'm with you there. I quite like Merzbow's more beat-oriented work, like Merzbeat, but the pure noise I just don't get. I like abrasive sounds, but there has to be a rhythm or flow of some sort for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 garvielloken

I enjoy some of Merzbow's work from time to time (Pulse Demon, Merzbeat and Aqua Necromancer are pretty good) but it can be an endurance test trying to get through 40-60 minutes of ear shattering noise. Just have to be in the mood I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

I think it only really works in a live context, for me anyway.. Preferably on a very clear and a very loud sound system, in a seated environment, with a few beers to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I think pure noise (whatever that might mean...) is best experienced in an immersive environment, and that usually means played live.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

I love noise. I make it too (under the name Where is This), so I should. From experimental, to noise, to Harsh Noise Wall. It's hard to describe why. I find it very easy to engage with. It's quite visceral (I know that's a visual term, but that's how it *feels) and, as a friend of mine put it, "There's just no bull**** about it".

I kind of drifted into it, over the years, with my taste in music becoming more "extreme" - but, by that, I mean, I was looking for something that I hadn't heard before, that I truly hadn't heard before, and noise was new/exciting. Still is to me.

God that explanation was pretentious. Also, i like making noise. It's incredibly enjoyable and cathartic. Me, a mic, pedals, an amp, and a spare hour = priceless.

• Advertisement

Checked out your Where Is This site on Virb - some really good stuff there. Nice work.
    markw999 wrote: »
    I love noise. I make it too (under the name Where is This), so I should. From experimental, to noise, to Harsh Noise Wall. It's hard to describe why. I find it very easy to engage with. It's quite visceral (I know that's a visual term, but that's how it *feels) and, as a friend of mine put it, "There's just no bull**** about it".

I kind of drifted into it, over the years, with my taste in music becoming more "extreme" - but, by that, I mean, I was looking for something that I hadn't heard before, that I truly hadn't heard before, and noise was new/exciting. Still is to me.

God that explanation was pretentious. Also, i like making noise. It's incredibly enjoyable and cathartic. Me, a mic, pedals, an amp, and a spare hour = priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Yep, noise live, after a few beers, is best. 'Music' is just organised noise. But to make sense of noise, you have to let go of inherited preconceptions, but not necessarily structure. A lesson in this for me has been listening to Morton Feldman. Not noise as such, but you begin to appreciate alternative ways to create movement in music, through different structures and changes in timbre. Noise doesn't always have to be physical (i.e. loud).

It's pointless to get into definitional arguments, but (if it is 'noise') my favourite noise gig ever was F.M. Einheit and Caspar Brotzmann in 2001 or something like that. So amazing.

Checked out your Where Is This site on Virb - some really good stuff there. Nice work.

Thanks man! Some new records out in the next few weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jgjkl

good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Wondering what people's thoughts are on Lou Reeds Metal Machine Music, often derided and yes he may have been taking the piss, but that locked groove at the end is doing something for me, quite what I don't know. You have to hand it to him, it took some balls, but I'm a little fascinated finally getting to listen to it right now on youtube.

• Advertisement

I believe MMM is being released in a re-mastered form this year.

I found it nowhere near as visceral as I was expcting it to be. Compared to the likes of Merzbow, The Dead Sea or Kevin Drumm in a foul humour, it's relatively mild. Fair play to him for doing it at the time, though. He was derided all over the place for it.
    Wondering what people's thoughts are on Lou Reeds Metal Machine Music, often derided and yes he may have been taking the piss, but that locked groove at the end is doing something for me, quite what I don't know. You have to hand it to him, it took some balls, but I'm a little fascinated finally getting to listen to it right now on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I believe MMM is being released in a re-mastered form this year.

I found it nowhere near as visceral as I was expcting it to be. Compared to the likes of Merzbow, The Dead Sea or Kevin Drumm in a foul humour, it's relatively mild. Fair play to him for doing it at the time, though. He was derided all over the place for it.

I'm amused at how it constantly gets these "worst album" awards, coming in at no.3 or 6 or whatever, but then its all subjective - it depends on what you view as "bad" music. I'd certainly rather listen to Lou Reed prop up his guitar against an amp to cause ear-bleeding feedback, than I would listen to some sentimental pop drivel. At least he had integrity. And you're right, I was expecting something horrid, but got something interesting instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I've just started using Grooveshark, and I'm listening to Merzbow's 1930 right now. And I'm really liking it! It's much more structured than the stuff I've heard before. This one has more in common with guys like Autechre and Venetian Snares I think. Or at least that's my first impression.

or Kevin Drumm in a foul humour,

Kevin Drumm for the goddamn WIN.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I've just started using Grooveshark, and I'm listening to Merzbow's 1930 right now. And I'm really liking it! It's much more structured than the stuff I've heard before. This one has more in common with guys like Autechre and Venetian Snares I think. Or at least that's my first impression.

My favourite Merzbow record is what's referred to as one of his "milder" records, Collapse 12 Floors. Not that mild, but is great. Milder than say "Pulse Demon" and without the "crazy drums Merzbow" of late.

Speaking of noise, and harshness, does anyone here like Masonna?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

>driving friend to work
    >iPod on shuffle
    >Sunn O))) comes on
    >"something must be wrong with car"
    >pull over
    >pop hood
    >step outside
    >read ended
    >car runs over legs
    >friend ejected from car
    >never walk again
    >Sunn O))) killed my best friend

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

i like it, took a while to get into but have been listening to alot of it over the last 2 years or so, being into techno these days especially the dark industrial sounding stuff i find alot of noise music layered over tracks really adds something to a track or mix, sunn o)) tracks are very useful in that way, as are Whitehouse, who i used to hate but now find myself listening and playing some of their stuff (must be due to getting a bit older and angrier in general).

Haus Arfana are another act people should check out that are into noise music, loads of stuff on youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rapparee

Depends on the atmosphere really. Have a look at some of Einsturzende Neubautens live stuff like Armenia and ZNS/

Advertisement