Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP networking issue

Options
  • 03-03-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a simple (or so it should be) setup of 1 desktop, 1 laptop and 1 printer connected to a router/switch (Model: BEFSR41 - basic 4 port Linksys. Not near the setup now but fairly sure it's this type. http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/BEFSR41).

Internet is though a fixed IP set on Linksys and I have DHCP turned on with 20 IP's available starting at 192.168.1.100.

Desktop gets .100
    Laptop gets .101
    Printer gets .102

Lease time is set to "0" which is a day by default.

Problem is when i try to connect beween the 2 PC's. Sometimes I can for a period but then it will say I don't have the correct permissions to get onto the other laptop. As it seemed to work ok for a while then stop I was blaming lease time but can't pinpoint the issue to it as I can change the value to no good effect. A reboot of the router might sometimes work but more often than not it wont.

The desktop is always connected and on whereas the laptop is mobile. The laptop never has an issue getting to the printer however. I have set the "file sharing" permissions using XP Network setup and as I said they work fine fr a while.

I don't need to connect too often to the desktop but I am sharing another printer which is connected by USB to it and I can't get through to it wen I can't connect to the other PC.

TCP/IP is set to "obtain automatically" on both Laptop and PC.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It could just be a problem with XP I have five machines on a network. All in the same work group. all could access the shares on all the other machines. Then for no apparent reason one of them stopped letting the others access its shares. It wasn't the firewall as turning off the firewalls made no difference.

The really weird thing is, if the shares on the machine to which the others cannot connect to are set up on the other machines as mapped drives they become accessible when using the mapped drive as opposed to the share name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

cargo wrote: »
    Hi,

Have a simple (or so it should be) setup of 1 desktop, 1 laptop and 1 printer connected to a router/switch (Model: BEFSR41 - basic 4 port Linksys. Not near the setup now but fairly sure it's this type. http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/BEFSR41).

Internet is though a fixed IP set on Linksys and I have DHCP turned on with 20 IP's available starting at 192.168.1.100.

Desktop gets .100
    Laptop gets .101
    Printer gets .102

Lease time is set to "0" which is a day by default.

Problem is when i try to connect beween the 2 PC's. Sometimes I can for a period but then it will say I don't have the correct permissions to get onto the other laptop. As it seemed to work ok for a while then stop I was blaming lease time but can't pinpoint the issue to it as I can change the value to no good effect. A reboot of the router might sometimes work but more often than not it wont.

The desktop is always connected and on whereas the laptop is mobile. The laptop never has an issue getting to the printer however. I have set the "file sharing" permissions using XP Network setup and as I said they work fine fr a while.

I don't need to connect too often to the desktop but I am sharing another printer which is connected by USB to it and I can't get through to it wen I can't connect to the other PC.

TCP/IP is set to "obtain automatically" on both Laptop and PC.

Any ideas?

Any time I have set up a simple file sharing network/printer sharing. I always used static addresses on all the devices. I know a printer has to be static because it can't be floating around the network.

Give it a try with static see how you get on.

The labs I done, were nightmares to get working. All sorts of problems.

Also, start with the basics, ping etc...

Ping the default gateway of the router, then try the desktop.

Then desktop default gateway then laptop, see if you get any connectivity problems there. I would go with static for sure, although some people here will argue DHCP should work just fine. But I cannot give advice on DHCP issues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

FSL wrote: »
    It could just be a problem with XP I have five machines on a network. All in the same work group. all could access the shares on all the other machines. Then for no apparent reason one of them stopped letting the others access its shares. It wasn't the firewall as turning off the firewalls made no difference.

The really weird thing is, if the shares on the machine to which the others cannot connect to are set up on the other machines as mapped drives they become accessible when using the mapped drive as opposed to the share name.

I think !! If the main computer hosting the workgroup IE the one you started the workgroup gose down. They will all stop sharing, you can see them because there in the same subnet! Not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

As above, set static ips and visit each computer by ip address.

EG

Start - Run
    Type \\192.168,1.103 and press enter.

Advertisement