Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinua Achebe

Options
  • 03-03-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have thoughts on African writer Chinua Achebe?

For those unfamiliar with him, he is a Nigerian author sometimes credited as being "the founding father of the African novel in English". His novels deal with African issues such as the European colonization and subsequent culture decline, and the impact of the modern day dictatorships.

I've read Things Fall Apart and Anthills of the Savannah. I remember vaguely liking the former, though I was a little confused at the brevity of the final two parts. I also recall liking the Anthills of the Savannah, though the fact I don't remember much more doesn't bode well.

Lately Penguin Classics reprinted his 5 novels - including the so-called "African trilogy" of which Things Fall Apart is the first book - in pretty new covers. Never a better time to revisit his work ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I've read "Things Fall Apart", but quite some time ago (for Leaving Cert actually). I liked it - for such a brief, simply written book, there's a wealth of themes running through it. Poor Okonkwo.

Not sure I'd be pushed about reading anything more by Achebe though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I read 'Things Fall Apart' years ago and enjoyed it. Can't remember anything other than the opening page though, which isn't good. Will probably read it in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kiki3387

I read "Things Fall Apart" about two years ago for college and enjoyed it, although there were parts that dragged a bit towards the end.
    Another author you should check out if you enjoyed the book is Ngugi wa Thiong'o, his novel "A Grain of Wheat" is a wonderful read, although trying to pronounce it when asking for it in a bookshop is an experience in itself! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Doll Parts

I read Things Fall Apart for my final year of college, as part of a World Literature module and really enjoyed it, probably more so then the other titles that were on that particular module. I thought it was a pretty easy and nice read, although considering it was apart of college and I had to push out the knowledge to make room for more, I can't remember much detail or conclusion from it. Never read anything else by him, but may give him a go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I'm another fan of Things Fall Apart, and I read it almost 10 years ago. I just remember there being so much symbolism in it, but nothing was lost to me.

Actually, perhaps I'll pick up another one of his novels, now that you mention it . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I read Things Fall Apart years ago, and really enjoyed it. This thread has reminded me to reread it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I liked Things Fall Apart. I think it had a lot of depth while being very easy/enjoyable to read, which can be a rare thing. I keep meaning to read some of his other books.

Advertisement