Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain Christian Shepherd to me?

Options
  • 03-03-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Just who (or what) exactly has he been these last 4-5 years? The more we saw him as the seasons progressed the more I believed he was Jacob, but of course that was knocked down the pan last year.

But now we haven't seen him on the island in quite a while, without even a mention, and I can't seem to piece together what purpose has he served. Is he MIB? Is he good, is he bad? If he's bad why did he help Locke in turning the wheel and getting off the island last year? If he's good how come he was with Clare the last time we saw her become all infected?

Somebody help me out here :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

He may be Smokey.
    He may be a victim of the "sickness".
    Or he may be something else altogether.

Even if he isn't MIB, he's definitely on his side. They both told Claire the same thing - that the Others had Aaron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

He may be Smokey.
    He may be a victim of the "sickness".
    Or he may be something else altogether.

Even if he isn't MIB, he's definitely on his side. They both told Claire the same thing - that the Others had Aaron.

But it doesn't make sense when you take into account how he looked over Michael after he defused that bomb on the freighter at the end of S4. And wouldn't that prove that Christian isn't MIB, because surely if he can change into somebody off the island, then that whole trying to get off the island plan would be fairly pointless.

God I hate love this show sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Daysha wrote: »
    But it doesn't make sense when you take into account how he looked over Michael after he defused that bomb on the freighter at the end of S4. And wouldn't that prove that Christian isn't MIB, because surely if he can change into somebody off the island, then that whole trying to get off the island plan would be fairly pointless.
    Yeah, I was thinking of this as well. It would seem to rule out Christian being "sick" as well. It's still possible he was Smokey and he eh, flew over to the freighter. But you're right even that doesn't make sense. There was also the case of him appearing to Locke in the underground cavern in the distant past, before there was apparently even an entrance to it.

I guess that means we have to categorise Christian as an non-Smokey apparition. Alongside Walt, Libby, Creepy-Blond-Kid, etc. What are the apparitions though? Are they the spirits of the real people? Or are they another deception?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Christian also appeared to Jack in the hopsital, last season I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Den85

Well, just like Locke I think MIB took over Jacks fathers body as it crashed on the island. However, I think MIB has more psychical control over Lockes body as Locke was a "recruit". Maybe this makes him special in some way?

Then again, it may have been that the writers just didn't have a chance to write out the Christian Shepard body story. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think both Jacob and MIB have appeared as Christian, but mostly MIB.

Examples of Jacob could include leading Jack to the water at the caves, and the hospital after Jack got off the island.

But it seems like MIB has appeared as Christian, particularly helping Locke (telling him to move the island, at the Orchid) and with Claire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Didn't Christian appear to both Sun and the pilot chap to help them on whatever their journey was and they seem to be on the opposite side to flocke

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I dunno, Flocke didn't seem to be too surprised when he saw Sun. And Christian told Sun and Lapidus to wait there for Locke

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Christian must be the MIB/Esau as all those reincarnations of the dead characters were used to manipulate the plane survivors in helping him find his Loophole in order to kill Jacob.

I don't think Jacob took the form of the other characters (he already meet them in person at one stage or another when they were all off the island and at some important event during their lives.) as he said in the episode last week that he can't appear to help guide Jack but only leave subtle hints like in the lighhouse with the image of Jack's childhood home.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Christian must be the MIB/Esau as all those reincarnations of the dead characters were used to manipulate the plane survivors in helping him find his Loophole in order to kill Jacob.

And yet he can't be because he's appeared off-island to both Michael and Jack dispite the fact that he's been trapped on-island since at least the eighteen-hundreds. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

blue_steel wrote: »
    And yet he can't be because he's appeared off-island to both Michael and Jack dispite the fact that he's been trapped on-island since at least the eighteen-hundreds. Go figure.

Your confusing this with the time he was actually alive and not dead like he is on the island, think slowly about this you are confusing the flashbacks of him alive with the ones of him appearing to be reincarnated on the island. Alive off the island, reincarnated on the island, Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

He appeared to Michael before the boat exploded and to Jack when after he had left the island and was working in a hospital. Season 5 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 baziragi

Guys im sorry and im trying to figure out lost.......who is MIB

baziragi wrote: »
    Guys im sorry and im trying to figure out lost.......who is MIB
    Man in Black. The guy who spoke to Jacob in front of the statue. Aka the Smoke Monster. Aka fake Locke.

Man in Black. The guy who spoke to Jacob in front of the statue. Aka the Smoke Monster. Aka fake Locke.
    thanks for that but is christian jacks dad?

baziragi wrote: »
    thanks for that but is christian jacks dad?
    He was, yes. Claire's dad too.

thanks sad professor ive watched the whole lot from the start on tv but i didnt get box sets it would be easier to follow if i was doing from box because it is impossible on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

The most correct answer is that we don't know who or what the hell he is yet.

He may have been Jacob at some point, he may have been MIB at others. H e may be some island entity himself.
    He may ne an agent for Jacob, off island, and agent for MIB, on island.

Stay tuned.

Advertisement