Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patch Panel Pricing & Options

Options
  • 03-03-2010 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I've had a look around and can't find anything.

We finished our house last year, but the electrician didn't fully finish the wiring as part of the build. What we're left with is 12 coax (CT100) cables and 25 network (Cat6) cables all coming back to a central point under the stairs.

These cables are not terminated, they're just sitting on the floor. At the other ends, all the wall points are terminated correctly (I hope).

The coax is all going to TV points around the house, as well as to external input sources for NTL/Sky. The network cable is all going to network points around the house - some of these we will want to use as phone points, but most we will want to keep as network points.

Here's what I want:
    • To be able to connect the various phone points to the main line coming in for any network points that we want to activate as phone points.
    • To be able to connect all the network cables to a gigabit-switch for a network around the house.
    • To be able to patch the TV points together to provide TV in more than 1 room.

Whoever's doing the work won't need to terminate any of the end-points apart from under the stairs, as they're already done. They will need to check and label them though.

I've just started the process of looking for someone to finish the job, but what I'm wondering is the following:
    1. What exactly should I be looking for in terms of patch panel equipment?
    2. How much approximately should it cost to get something like this done?
    3. How would I go about finding someone to do it?

Any answers to the above or other comments/suggestions would be welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

1st off where are you based?
    Whet type of cable has been laid? What brand of connector has been used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brianmac

We're based in Dublin.

The coax cable is CT100, the network is Cat-6. I don't have more specific details on the brand of cables, but I might be able to get them if it makes a difference.

The connectors around the house are all standard LeGrand wall-plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Brian,

To achieve the optimum performance from your investment you will really need to know if the cable and connectivity already installed are component compliant. If they are you can choose any Cat 6 panel that is component compliant out there. If not and it is part of a tuned system you will if you want Cat 6 performance have to use the same brand.

I have in the past used several different solutions and the best performing was Krone. This is available from Anixter in Dublin. Quite pricey bet a superb solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brianmac

Thanks for the reply...
    By "Cat6 performance", do you mean Gigabit speed over the network?

Any thoughts on what equipment I would need for the phone & coax patching? Finally, any rough ideas what it should cost to get someone to do this, and where to look for someone?

Advertisement