Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this allowed?Problems with letting agent

Options
  • 03-03-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

We were renting a house for 6 months, the lease was a 6 month also. The neighbours complained that we were noisy...(two times...what terrible people we must be even though previous tenants have had the same problem with them hmmm) so letting agent told us the lease wouldn't be renewed and gave us 8 days to vacate. Firstly can a landlord only give that amount of notice, it was very stressful trying to find a new house in that time especially with a small baby. Secondly we put 200 euros worth of oil in the tank a couple of weeks before we left thinking we were going to be there a while, the letting agent knew this but said to just take it out...we couldn't so had to leave it and weren't compensated for it. 200 quid is hard to come by when you're not working so I'm snapping over it.

Any advice would be very welcome, thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Not enough information here but if your lease is up in 8 days time they have no obligation to renew it for you. If its not up in 8 days then check your tennancy terms they may well be within their rights given your there under 6 months but we cant second guess your lease.

As for your oil they dont have to compensate you for it. You might think they were being smartarses but I think its fair enough why shoudl they compensate you for it. If its yours go syphon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Is the 8 days when your lease is up?

If it's not up then I assume the landlord is pulling the serious anti-social behaviour line if you were being complained about by neighbours.

'Termination of a tenancy requires the service of a valid Notice of Termination giving the appropriate amount of notice, which is 28 days where the tenancy has lasted less than 6 months or termination is for breach of tenancy obligations. The notice period increases with the duration of the tenancy

Termination of a tenancy for serious anti-social behaviour also requires the serving of a valid Notice of Termination but the required notice period is only 7 days. In the case of landlords terminating a tenancy, the only exception to the requirement to do so by way of a valid Notice of Termination is where the tenancy is for a fixed term of less than 6 months and the landlord wants the tenancy to terminate on the expiry of the fixed term.'

It's hard to say really, did you speak to your landlord about the notice being so short?

I don't think anything can be done about the oil.

Advertisement