Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to the end of lease...Question

Options
  • 03-03-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi there,

As the title suggests, we're not far away from the end of our one year lease. Haven't really decided if we're moving yet, would like to keep our options open for as long as possible. The lease is up in just over a month.

Anyway, my question is: do we have to give notice if we're not extending the lease? Our landlord seems to own loads of properties and doesn't appear to actively manage our one - i.e. he barely has any contact with us. So is it ok if we tell him the day before the lease is up, that we're not staying?

Also, what if we're not contacted by him before the expire of the lease, but we stay in the apartment. If we pay a month's rent outside of the lease, does that renew the lease by another year? Or is it just rolling? So many questions!

Thanks for any help! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

mbarosin wrote: »
    Hi there,

As the title suggests, we're not far away from the end of our one year lease. Haven't really decided if we're moving yet, would like to keep our options open for as long as possible. The lease is up in just over a month.

Anyway, my question is: do we have to give notice if we're not extending the lease? Our landlord seems to own loads of properties and doesn't appear to actively manage our one - i.e. he barely has any contact with us. So is it ok if we tell him the day before the lease is up, that we're not staying?

Also, what if we're not contacted by him before the expire of the lease, but we stay in the apartment. If we pay a month's rent outside of the lease, does that renew the lease by another year? Or is it just rolling? So many questions!

Thanks for any help! :D

A fixed term lease becomes rolling after the fixed term is up. It is governed by the Residential Tenancy Act, details of which are available at www.prtb.ie.

You have to give a minimum of one months notice or notice as set out in lease. I think it's 35 days notice under residential tenancy act for 6 months to a year. Check site.

You cannot just move out or give 1 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mbarosin

Thanks for that.

It appears to be 42 days notice required for leases of 1 year to 2 years. Our lease is up in less than that so I guess we'll be here for at least a month longer.

Most landlords aren't interested in giving viewings if you can't move in straight away, and I don't really want to give notice if we don't have the next accommodation sorted yet :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I'm confused - I've seen the table of notices however I've come across this. In Section 9 it states that you do not have to give notice (although it is good practice to) if it's for a fixed number of months and there's no notice clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mbarosin

wyrn wrote: »
    I'm confused - I've seen the table of notices however I've come across this. In Section 9 it states that you do not have to give notice (although it is good practice to) if it's for a fixed number of months and there's no notice clause.

Hmm, maybe what I quoted was for termination before expiry of lease. 42 days notice seems like a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

mbarosin wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe what I quoted was for termination before expiry of lease. 42 days notice seems like a lot

lol - that's why I'm confused because it seems to say the same thing here!

I would have assumed that if you have a fixed date lease that once that date is up you are out unless you contact the LL. Now I don't know!

• Advertisement
Advertisement