Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling my car privately - what have I to do?

Options
  • 03-03-2010 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi all,

I think I have a buyer for my 02 civic and she's coming to have a look at it tonight. I just want to be sure that I do all the right things if she wants to buy. I know I have to fill out the back of the cert and send it away, but apart from that I'm not sure what else there is to be done! Any advice welcome!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That's it really. Take your insurance disc out of the window and clean out the glove box and boot for anything you may have left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

make sure you both sign the back of the ownership document and fill in the date it changes hands. A lot of people forget this and it causes delays!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I suggest that both you and they buyer drop the signed Vehicle Registration Cert into the post together. At least that way you cannot be accused of holding onto it once the car changes hand.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I suggest that both you and they buyer drop the signed Vehicle Registration Cert into the post together. At least that way you cannot be accused of holding onto it once the car changes hand.

Just be sure you post it and that you don't let them do it, although I have let the buyer do so on a couple of occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ju_q

Great - thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I always write out 2 receipts and get the seller to sign them as well as myself, give them one and keep the other, the receipt will have my name,address and phone number as well as the buyers details and the date and time of sale.
    Covers my ass if the car is involved in any incidents before the book shows new owners details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I always write out 2 receipts and get the seller to sign them as well as myself, give them one and keep the other, the receipt will have my name,address and phone number as well as the buyers details and the date and time of sale.
    Covers my ass if the car is involved in any incidents before the book shows new owners details.
    +1

You don't have to have a proper receipt book or anything, just don't use a scrap piece of paper.

Advertisement