Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crate Training & early morning piddles!

Options
  • 03-03-2010 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Yes, I'm back again with a dumb question...

As pup is now 14 weeks old we're crate training her. It's going really, really well. I take her out at around 6 / 7 for her meal as we eat our dinner and she's out with the big dog for about 20 mins, long enough to do her thing.

She comes back in and is taken out again at bedtime, normally 11 - 12. She then goes into her crate with no problems (up to now with a treat). We have no accidents inside during the day now, which is great.

So far I have been taking her out as soon as she starts to cry (anytime from 4:30 - 6:00, usually between 5:30 and 6 :eek:). She's dry through the night, no wet in the crate. As soon as she's out of the crate she races to the back door (which happens to be where we feed her) and out she goes. I generally don't feed her at that time, leaving it till 8ish (I don't want to reward the early morning crying).

The trouble is she is peeing before she gets to the door. This morning for example she peed beside teh crate and again at the back door. When she saw it was raining she ran away inside and peed again. If I lift and carry her (quickly!) to the back door she doesn't do this.

I was under the impression that at this age she should have good bladder control, what am I doing wrong? And any tips on getting her to stay crated until 7? Leaving her isn't an option (neighbors, father in law and 2 schoolkids need thier sleep)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you're able to I'd carry her for the time being - all pups are different so she may take a bit longer to get better control. Stick with it - it'll get better as time goes by and as she gets older she'll sleep for longer. Our pup is 8 months old gets up between 7:00-8:00 now at the weekend - during the week I have to drag him out of his bed at around 6:30 so we're up in time for walks or daycare on the days he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

With both of my dogs I carried them from the crate to the back door(quickly), as I found they weren't making it in time sometimes. Another month or two and your pup should be fine.
    You're doing well so far, and my youngest also pee'd by the door when it rained for a while, she still doesn't like the rain but will go out for a pee now.

Also you could try setting an alarm for yourself to let her out around the time she usually wakes(or few mins before) and every week extend in by few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Pick her up and pop her outside and go out with her, close over the door so she can't get in and watch and wait until she does her buisness they're too smart sometimes and think fek this don't want to get wet but if you stick with it it gets easier.

Standing outside in the cold with the wind blowing up yer jamies is sometimes the only option. Our lad is..flip 10 months already and he still whinges to go out for a pee sometimes twice in the night although depends on how busy his day has been.

14 weeks is still young some dogs take much longer than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Pick her up and pop her outside and go out with her, close over the door so she can't get in and watch and wait until she does her buisness they're too smart sometimes and think fek this don't want to get wet but if you stick with it it gets easier.

Standing outside in the cold with the wind blowing up yer jamies is sometimes the only option. Our lad is..flip 10 months already and he still whinges to go out for a pee sometimes twice in the night although depends on how busy his day has been.

14 weeks is still young some dogs take much longer than others.
    i am also using the crate, they are 18 weeks old now and just about getting the jist of it, going along nicely, the accidents are getting fewer each week, putting them outside first thing in morning, leaving back door open so they can get out going out with them, my guess is another 6 weeks and i will succeed, i have been doing this for 9 weeks now, i have also found out by trial and error how to make them homemade biscuits they like
    they love them, as these bikkies are hard and are great for teething, seeing as the chews you buy are either horrible, or very expensive

Advertisement