Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflatables for fishing.

Options
  • 03-03-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Hello folks. I am thinking of investing in a new inflatable for fly fishing small lakes and sheltered areas of the bigger lakes. I suppose I would be looking for one about 10 or 12 foot long. Anybody out there got any experience of using inflatables for freshwater fishing? Any advice or constructive comments appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

At some time or other I've tried them all. Flat bottom inflatables drift downwind at an enormous speed due to not having any keel .... so you will end up fishing at anchor or trolling.
    So not suitable for trouting with a fly rod.
    If it's fishing you're after, you'd be better off with either a kayak, float tube or hard hull boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Yes i have a lake boat and a lot of experience in lake boats. Just looking for something a little more "portable" for smaller/calmer waters. No matter what anyone says i think it is a lot of hassle lifting and towing large lake boats on a regular basis, also many remote or smaller locations do not have boat slips. I would imagine the inflatables being light will drift fast. But its about a bit of compromise i suppose. But it would be calmer smaller waters and a small weight anchor could be used. As currently my lake fishing is 100% from traditional style lake boats. I have never tried a kayak or tube, but knowing nothing of tubes, on the face of it they don't really appeal to me. A kayak could be a possibility.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I did a comparison between the different fishing craft a while ago and it's here:Choices berween different water craft to fish from

But I didn't put flat bottom inflatables into it because they seemed to me to be like canoes, designed in such a way that anglers would not use them on windy stillwaters. But I will update that page to include them I think.

I would already have a kayak if not for:
    holding a paddle instead of a rod, with rod in rod rest too much of the time
    need to change clothing after coming ashore, not just add layers, but change.

One of these these sticking points are "cured" by the Hobie kayaks with the Mirage pedal drive, but at a big cost, in their Revolution kayak.

But for me, kayaks will come of age when they have electric assist drive fitted, like the power assist cycles, and they go a size bigger to use that power, thereby becoming a kayak-dinghy (with sealed deck) hybrid. A few years away still, I guess.

I'd like a SOT kayak and a tube, but since I have to choose one or the other I chose the tube, until now. The kayaks shine best on bigger waters, large lakes and the sea, and the tubes are best on smaller waters, inaccessible lakes, and rocky waters.
    Another aspect I use to choose is where you park and leave your vehicle, and a boat or kayak may be open to vandalism, but a tube is in the car boot.

Advertisement