Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leather vs Fabric Seats?

Options
  • 03-03-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Which do you prefer?

Leather:
    Colder in winter.
    Stick to them in summer.
    Cleaner.
    Look nicer.

Any opinions?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Leather:wipes clean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have leather, but i'd prefer fabric. Leather is better if you're going to have babies puking on it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leather if I can get it, but fabric won't turn me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 00_ghost_27

Never had the pleasure of having leather interior. Still, Has to be leather. I could deal with the hot/cold extremities.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Leather without a doubt - had a fabric 156 and a young child who didn't like travelling in the car - never got the fabric clean with all the milk puke stains .

Leather - brilliant - just wipes clean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The most important thing is a proper seat construction, the covering really is only a matter of taste.

For looks only, personally I prefer leather.

sitze005large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Leather ftw!!

Could never get the chocolate out of my old fabric seats..

And the cold or hotness dont boter me as i dont often get into my car naked!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Identical to my interior,half and half.Fecker to keep the white fabric clean tho

Octavia_vRS_160105%20007.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 theglynny

As leather is a skin, (proper leather), it will always be at room temperature, so it shouldn't be cold/hot unless the room/car is!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

theglynny wrote: »
    As leather is a skin, (proper leather), it will always be at room temperature, so it shouldn't be cold/hot unless the room/car is!
    Which the car often is.;) One other point is that unless you're paying a lot of money the leather you get is likely to be akin to something you'd buy out of the back of the ILAC centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

theglynny wrote: »

Yeah but certain materials absorb cold and heat much more don't they?

Identical to my interior,half and half.Fecker to keep the white fabric clean tho

Nice, that looks spankin'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Ush1 wrote: »
    Which do you prefer?

Leather:
    Colder in winter.
    Stick to them in summer.
    Cleaner.
    Look nicer.

Any opinions?:)

If its real leather and not manmade leather(what used to be called leatherette) you don't stick to it in summer.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    If its real leather and not manmade leather(what used to be called leatherette) you don't stick to it in summer.

Ah right. I spose decent A/C or climate control would avoid that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You really should have added a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I prefer leather.

This is mine:

rsz_p2260002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Andrew33 wrote: »

Yup, leather in the Phaeton and 8series didnt/doesnt stick or get very cold. Had it in other cars and it was harder wearing but clearly manmade.

steve06 wrote: »
    You really should have added a poll.

Can I retro add one? Can't see where.

Leather would be my first choice for sure. It looks much better and I find it comfortable also. I have cream leather in my car at the moment and it really looks the part. I don't find it overly difficult to keep clean but I try not to get it dirty in the first place. The drivers seat does show up some wear but thats inevitable really.

The biggest weakness I think is that the seats are quite prone to scratching. I have a few scratches on the back seats especially from people (who got an earful after) dragging out their back pack out or people with buttons on the back of their jeans sliding alone the seat when getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Another person who prefers leather, especially in big cars, has anyone seen how poverty looking a 5 series or even an S40 looks without leather?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Half & Half for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

For looks I'd pick leather..for everything else fabric

but now I have a mix of leather and alcantara so..yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Anan1 wrote: »
    akin to something you'd buy out of the back of the ILAC centre.

a bag of heroin :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have Alcantara suede in mine. Feels nicer than leather when it's quite warm or cold out. It's lasted quite well I think (for a 10 year old car). I don't think it looks "poverty spec" anyway.

inside1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

Heated nappa.... only way :P Cold problem solved and you don't stick in the summer.

A mate of mine has a Lexus with air cooled seats!!

Alcantara like Eoin's car above is very nice too I think though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Leather recaros for the win :D

6422.jpg

Heated for the coldness and air con for the hotness :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Has to be leather, would be a deal breaker for me now if no leather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

In the process of buying a new car. For the seats I have narrowed it down to:-

Supreme Black interior – (leather/artificial leather)

OR
    Alcantara Black interior – (Alcantara/leather/artificial leather)

Never heard of Alcantara. Had a look on the web: 68% polyester and 32% polurethane.

Suppose to be more durable and stain resistant. Appearance and feel similar to suede.

Which is better?

eoin wrote: »
    I have suede in mine. Feels nicer than leather when it's quite warm or cold out. It's lasted quite well I think (for a 10 year old car). I don't think it looks "poverty spec" anyway.

inside1.jpg

I think that looks a winner actually. Defo not poverty spec anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Definitely leather, for comfort, practicality and luxury and also for smell which I can't believe hasn't been mentioned yet!
    eoin wrote: »
    I have suede in mine. Feels nicer than leather when it's quite warm or cold out. It's lasted quite well I think (for a 10 year old car). I don't think it looks "poverty spec" anyway.

inside1.jpg

Sorry to break it to you but you have 'alcantara' not 'suede'. Big difference. :)

Advertisement