Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain name

Options
  • 03-03-2010 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

This may be the wrong forum to post this on but anyways...

I want to purchase a domain name off www.register.ie but it's not for me (a bizarre present I intend on giving someone). Can this be done? The domain name will be their actual name if that's any use to you.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

is it a .ie or some other tld?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Hmm, I'll probably go for the .ie (it's €70 I think) but I'm sure down the line the person would want the .com too...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

AFAIK You need to be a registered company to register a .ie domain. But I think you can register yourself as a company, e.g. I could reigster DanGlee as a company, then purchase danglee.ie but without going through the CRO I could not do that!

Anybody wish to agree or correct me on this? Thanks.

DG

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For .ie you may need to be registered business.
    .com can be purchased by pretty much anyone instantly.

Hmmm, maybe I should probably just go with the .com then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I dunno if you can purchase it as easy as a .com, but you could try getting a .me e.g. danglee.me

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

you can reg a personalname.ie since last year without a cro business reg'd but you need to supply passport etc as proof of owner. 70 sounds a lot

So it looks like this is at a dead end. Thanks though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

For a .ie you would need a copy of a utility bill or similar (see http://www.pdn.ie for full details)

Another option would be something like .me, which doesn't have any restrictions and "says" personal (see: http://blog.blacknight.com/want-a-personal-domain-name-why-me-makes-sense.html )

Prices for domains vary, but you normally wouldn't pay more than about 25-30 Euro ex-VAT for a .ie (and you will find lower)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

Blacknight are very good prob should just call them and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This may be the wrong forum to post this on but anyways...
    It is I'm afraid, moving to Design after some tidying up.

In general, I've found it's awkward buying someone else a TLD for them without their involvement (I'm doing that myself at the moment for my partner and she has to sign off on the paperwork).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

koolkid wrote: »
    For .ie you may need to be registered business
    Not any more. I've got one (stochasticgeometry.ie) as a discretionary name as a private person and I'm getting a second for herself indoors and that's the same setup. There are definitely more hoops to jump through though; for some side projects (like rangeclerk.com) I stick to non-.ie TLDs, it's just far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

You have to explain the discretionary name though. Just register the business name with the CRO, costs 20 euro.

And you'll get a .ie for a lot cheaper than 70 these days.

The only thing to worry about is that you'll have to transfer ownership if you're getting it as a present for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

thesteve wrote: »
    You have to explain the discretionary name though. Just register the business name with the CRO, costs 20 euro.
    Yes, but you can combine ie. get a RBN and use it to support multiple discretionary domains
    Getting a personal discretionary is awkward
    And you'll get a .ie for a lot cheaper than 70 these days.
    Yes - we've offered them for as low as €5 :) (though we won't be doing that again for a while!)
    The only thing to worry about is that you'll have to transfer ownership if you're getting it as a present for someone.
    If you're registering a domain for someone else you will need their assistance
    Transferring ownership is not a viable option, as the new domain holder will need to go through the entire validation process again.

Advertisement