Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pipe

Options
  • 03-03-2010 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Hi fellow smokers,I'm a heavy smoker,especially when I'm sitting at the pc browsing boards. I find I could waste a pack of twenty at night, not enjoying them,sometimes just lighting one up,taking a drag or two and finding it sitting burnt out in the ash tray a few minutes later. It's becoming a financial burden to be honest.

I could be banned for this :D, but I've taken up the pipe,I've read a bit on the web about it,seems to be classed as more a hobbie than a habit, and something that only by trial and error will the smoker achieve satisfaction, but satisfaction is promised if the user sticks at it.
    Well I'm at the trial stage, my efforts at getting the perfect pipe have failed so far.I'm used to the instant draw of a ciggie, you know where you take a drag and immediatly feel the smoke at the back of your throat (did I explain that right) where as my pipe smoking is like taking a drag of a very very weak ciggie,actually more air than smoke. Actually I can hear the air coming through the spout of my pipe,almost like sucking a straw, I'm not sure if your supposed to hear that. I'm not talking of taking a huge drag of the pipe and inhaling btw, it's strong stuff, I'll work up to that ;) in the meantime I'd settle on just feeling like I'm taking a drag,instead of puffing air.
    BTW, I'm generating plenty of smoke,it's just not coming my way.

Any pipe smokers out there with some advise.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

you made me laugh:D:D....

...... and reminded me of an old man who lived nearby his pipe would be left on the windowsill and it would go damp and all you could hear was air and gurgling when he was drawing.

I think pipe smoking is more about puffing than inhaling, its strong stuff and very smokey! well I suppose thats the point....

try rollies with filters in them at least they quench when left in the ashtray and you can relight them.....just a thought.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Rollies,certainly not,their for convicts and poor people..... oh wait.
    No, I wont be beaten by gurgling and bad air, infact I may even grow a beard.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Id suggest trying rollies with tips,very nice.
    Anyway,I went through a trial stage of pipe smoking and at first i was getting nearly all air or getting no smoke at all for all my puffing (packed too tight).
    However,you'll read a lot online from pipe smoking elitists,and i'd say listen to none of it.
    Some people will like a light draw with loads of air,some will like a stiffer one with the tobacco packed tighter.
    It took me a good long while to find out what I liked best,so I'd advise you to ignore all the "how to smoke a pipe" sh**e on the the web and your own trial and error will get you a lovely smoke in the end.

All the best!

Advertisement