Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McKean

Options
  • 02-03-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Having seen some of his work in Arkham Asylum and the Sandman covers, I'm curious about the work of Dave McKean. Any fans here? Recommendations?

Anyone seen his stuff in shops in Dublin, or will I have to resort to Amazon?

joker.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

He did a signing and Q&A in Easons O'Connell St. this past November that I know at least two semi-regular readers of this board went to...it wasn't really pushed as well as it could have been and a bunch of people only found out the day of the signing and couldn't make it. Easons might still have a couple of signed copies left and both FP and subcity stock his stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've not read much by him, though his Sandman covers were amazing. I really enjoyed The tragical comedy or comical tragedy of Mr Punch that he did with Gaiman, so i'd suggest checking that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

I've read bits and pieces. Mckean is not for me though. Something too willfully obscure about the way that he tells a story which is fine if you want to spend a day figuring his images out but not so good if your weaned on the manga page turning instant recognition style of storytelling. MAybe it's something of the more illustrative tradition that he works in rather then what the "sequential" is what bugs me.

I've read Arkham Asylum but i don't think that it's a comic that he would consider to be one of his exemplary comics. Cages if you can find it (or the time to read the tome) is supposedly genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ayeaye

mikhail wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I don't know much about this but am thoroughly enjoying what I'm reading. Keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

You might be interested in taking a gander at McKean and Gaiman's Mirrormask film aswell:

mirrormask.jpg

Advertisement