Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA (hons) in Early Years Distance with the OU

Options
  • 02-03-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi need some advice.
    Im in my mid 20s and trying to decide what im going to do to further my education.
    I work in the specials needs area with children and will have to complete at least a level 6 fetac qualification due to the new ECCE regulations in the near future and so am thinking of going down the degree path but i am looking to study part time as full time is not an option.

I have been looking into the Early Years Degree with the OU and am wondering if anyone has done it or is in the process of it could they pass on any info? One of my concerns is what jobs are out there for me with this qualification?

Its by no means a cheap option and so i want to be sure im doing the right course for me. my long term goal is to stay working in the special needs area with children but just want more stability with a higher qualification.
    Any advice,help or info anyone can give me would be so gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭ronaldoshaky

I am studying a degree with the OU, but not in the area you mentioned.

The biggest downside I find with the OU, is you're on your own for a lot of it. I am at Level 3 in my degree and there are no face to face tutorials, since its now all done by e-tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Hi rockybird,

Not sure where you're based but NUI Galway are starting a new early years degree by distance learning in sept. They may run it as an outreach in the midlands - you would only need to attend 8-10 days each year. the rest would be home study (blended learning).

Good luck -- I'd be interested to hear what you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rockybird

Thanks Knit wit. That sound great,will get on to nuig and find out more.
    will keep u posted wat i decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I am studying a degree with the OU, but not in the area you mentioned.

The biggest downside I find with the OU, is you're on your own for a lot of it. I am at Level 3 in my degree and there are no face to face tutorials, since its now all done by e-tutorial.

What degree are you studying with the OU? I'm just finishing a Psychology degree and we had tutorials every month (apart from on one 30 point course which was all online). In addition to this, if you go on Firstclass you can arrange to meet up with others from your tutor group for study groups.

Im just wondering from anyone doing degrees with the OU how possible is it to study an honours degree and get it completed in 3 years while working full time? (meaning doing the max of 2 modules at 120 points in total a year)

Have been researching the early years degree with the OU and also the new early childhood studies degree distance learning with NUIG and trying to decide which to go for. It seems the OU degree will be cheaper overall but i would like to get it completed as soon as possible.

any info you can give me would be really appreciated.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I'm a student with the OU and as regards cost it is possible to pay via OUSBA (Open University Student Budget Account). Rather than having to find a large lump sum at the start of the year, they'll pay your fees for you and you pay them back over the year in installments.

I'm at level 3 and although the work load is quite high it's well worth it. So long as you have a system that works for you studywise it's a great way of learning.

SD

As regards doing the 120 points in one year that's the equivalent of studying full-time. It's do-able but it requires total commitment - especially if you have to work full time etc etc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

rockybird wrote: »
    Im just wondering from anyone doing degrees with the OU how possible is it to study an honours degree and get it completed in 3 years while working full time? (meaning doing the max of 2 modules at 120 points in total a year)

Pretty much impossible, unless you want to totally give up your social life and spend every weekend studying (i'm not exaggerating). It would be doable with level 1 courses, a huge stretch for level 2's, but at level 3 it would be impossible (many have week-long compulsory residential schools which could clash, and your exams may well clash too), and for this reason the OU will only allow students to take 120 points in a year in rare circumstances (i.e. they are unemployed or only working part-time hours).

I told a white lie to the OU a few years ago and did two 60 point level 2 courses. I did pretty well in the continuous assessment for both, but the two exams were one day apart and I failed one and got a level 3 pass in the other, which meant I had to repeat the exam I failed the next year, and has made it very difficult for me to get a first in my degree.

Hi Knit Wit
    Ive applied for the Early Years degree you recommended in nuig,awaiting acceptance so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

good for you rocky bird. I have applied for the NUI degree also. Got a confirmation receipt last week - but don't know yet if I've got in! Keeping fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 evaem

Hi rockybird and Knit wit

I am in the same boat now!! I am in the middle of filling out the form for NUI Galway to do the degree in Early Childhood Studies (by distance learning as am based in Cork). I have FETAC level 6 and want to do level 7 and hopefully level 8. Although I am having second thoughts ONLY due to the cost! It's almost €3k a year, so that's about €12k in total which is a HUGE amount of money. I love working with children and want to open my own pre school in the next year or two and I know I dont need level 7 or 8 at the moment but it would be a huge benefit, and I think eventually it will be a requirement for owners/managers of pre schools.

I have just started to look into doing the course in Northern Ireland/UK as I think it would be much cheaper. Did any of you go the OU route and how are you finding this? How much does it work out financially?

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on this??

Thanks a mill! smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mushi

Hi Rocky bird and Knit wit,

I was wondering how did you both get on, did you get excepted to the distance learning course in NUIG. I am in the middle of completing my level 6 Supervision in Childcare and am now trying to decide to either go on and do the course fulltime either in NUI Maynooth or IT in Carlow.
    Love to hear some feedback please.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Someone posted that this NUIG Course may be available in the Midlands with only a few attendance days a year required. Has anyone got any more info. on this? T.y.

Advertisement