Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of 'green water'

Options
  • 02-03-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

The water in my coldwater fish tank is turning green - I changed it completely a couple of weeks ago but it's coming back with a vengence. Fish don't seem to mind it.

What's the safest chemical treatment to use?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What are you feeding them?

Is there a filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

godtabh wrote: »
    What are you feeding them?

Is there a filter?

Tetra Flake Food.

Yes, an Interpet one.

The tank's been set up for months. Only just had this problem the last few weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm having a similar problem but with a warm water one.

I think it was something to do with the holiday food i gave them a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is the tank near sunlight or semi sun

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

• Advertisement

Mine isnt.

The lights are on for 12hours a day. Might reduce that for awhile

Wolfsberg wrote: »

Nice one! Some good solutions there.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

reduce the lights to 8 hours a day
    have you replaced the bulb lately, if so have you used an aquarium bulb, as some of the ordinary flurescent tubes have a light spectrum which will help the algae grow,

dbrock wrote: »
    reduce the lights to 8 hours a day
    have you replaced the bulb lately, if so have you used an aquarium bulb, as some of the ordinary flurescent tubes have a light spectrum which will help the algae grow,

The bulb was replaced just after christmas so it could be the culprit. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

just reduce the light output to 6 hours if no plants , and 8 if you have plants,
    go easier on feeding, for the next few weeks and see if it starts to clear up,
    also do a few 30 percent water changes maybe every 5 days or so

if you notice the water starting to clear you might be ok with your bulb, no need to change till you know

• Advertisement
Advertisement