Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garlic sowing from last year's bulbs?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I had decent wee crop of garlic last year from bulbs I bought in a garden centre. They grew up and tasted lovely, and I still have a couple from the crop left over. Could I plant this year's crop from them? I'm wondering if there might be some sort of gardener's rule that you have to use a new crop of bulbs or something, so as to avoid disease.

Cheers,

B.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No, it's more that you take the best specimen of whatever you're growing, and allow that to go to seed for next year's crop. So use your best garlic bulbs to plant on for next season's crop. The best way to avoid disease is never plant the same crop in the same location two seasons running.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

That sounds good enough to me. Cheers Sweeper.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Isn't there something about planting out bulbs when it's cold/frosty as it causes the bulbs to split?

I don't know if they've to be well bedded down for winter at this stage already though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You need cold / a frost to split a swelling garlic clove into the multi-cloved bulbs you want at harvest. Planting now you should still be in time for that, but I think you might want to get your skates on...

Advertisement