Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading University Rejection

Options
  • 02-03-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice really. My daughter applied for a course through UCAS back in December last year (closing date Jan 15th 2010). She had to email the university to get any feedback and was told that she had been rejected.

2 points here:

1. Is there any recourse to the rejection, i.e. finding out why ? Nowhere on the website seems to give any idea of whether she will receive any information.

2. Is this customary? She was waiting and waiting for a reply to shape her course selection for domestic courses but IMHO its extremely bad form to have to request a status some 6 weeks after the course application date closes, only to be told she was unsuccessful but not why ?

To be honest, the course is good but the university and faculty staff appear to be appallingly ill-equipped for EU student applications and extremely dis-interested in anyone applying. This is raising my suspicions as to the motive behind the refusal (my daughter is, if anything over-qualified for this course).

Thanks for your opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice really. My daughter applied for a course through UCAS back in December last year (closing date Jan 15th 2010). She had to email the university to get any feedback and was told that she had been rejected.

2 points here:

1. Is there any recourse to the rejection, i.e. finding out why ? Nowhere on the website seems to give any idea of whether she will receive any information.

2. Is this customary? She was waiting and waiting for a reply to shape her course selection for domestic courses but IMHO its extremely bad form to have to request a status some 6 weeks after the course application date closes, only to be told she was unsuccessful but not why ?

To be honest, the course is good but the university and faculty staff appear to be appallingly ill-equipped for EU student applications and extremely dis-interested in anyone applying. This is raising my suspicions as to the motive behind the refusal (my daughter is, if anything over-qualified for this course).

Why do you say that?

I wouldnt take it so personally. Hundreds if not thousands or rejection emails would have been sent out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mysterypotato

Why do you say that?

I wouldnt take it so personally. Hundreds if not thousands or rejection emails would have been sent out.

That is point 1. Nothing was sent out. She had to inquire. Point 2, given the fact that the staff were clueless on EU entry and extremely indifferent (bordering obnoxious) when asked to clarify I am suspicious as to the motives behind ANY EU refusal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Hi All,

2 points here:

I've moved this to NI/GB Colleges as it's probably a more appropriate place.

Re. not being told about the rejections - what was showing up when your daughter was logging into UCAS? Decisions usually come through there. It may have been an administrative oversight (HE institutions in most places are somewhat lax on the administrative side - not excusing it, it's just unfortunately the way it seems to be). It's not customary, but it does happen. The university may also have simply delayed informing UCAS of their decision (again, not any consolation to your daughter). However even the UCAS responses don't always come with a reason.

As your daughter got the 'no' from the university she can of course ask why, and should do so. Either the Admissions Department or perhaps the Course Director is best to contact. They will usually do their best with feedback (it might not be extensive, but they'll do you the courtesy of explaining why if you ask). It could be grades, application numbers, any reason. She may also get a place on the course if she goes through Clearing. All is not lost by any means. Being overqualified for the normal entrance requirements isn't always sufficient as you don't know the calibre of the candidates she's competing against.

I think her best bet is to go and ask why she was rejected, and see what the response is. Speculating probably won't make her feel much better.

In any case I would hope that her EU status didn't play a part. The admin shortcomings are notorious in universities (both in expertise and in practice).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 McCabeC

I know this is a late reply and might be of no help, but I agree that reading is very ill equipped with regards to EU students. I applied for speech and Language therapy 3 years ago and got a very blunt rejection statement with no help once I rang them, but I understood that my grades weren't exactly what they wanted. I did a degree in psychology got a ".1 applied again and got the exact same rejection letter, every other uni I applied for gave me offers straight away. Hope your daughter is doing well now!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

I was a masters student in Reading a couple of years ago, and I had numerous problems with the central admin system. It really is bad, very unhelpful staff, no joined up thinking, terrible communication, the simplest things are made difficult.

If its any consolation Reading itself is very boring and the university library is rubbish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement