Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard remapped to have no alt key

Options
  • 02-03-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Some cheeky blighter remapped my keyboard to have no ALT key so I can't log in. I tried looking up how to reset the keyboard but they all assume you have access to windows in the first place.
    Anyone know of a way to reset the keyboard used in Windows XP back to the factory default?
    My alternative is to try to reinstall XP over the top and dump what I want to keep off the main drive and redo from scratch.
    Anyone able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Are you sure it's not just a busted key?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

Looks like they remapped the ALT keys to space bar.
    The ALT key works fine in DOS windows so I figure some cheeky monkey went messing about.

Ah well, nuked the system to get it up and running again.
    Would be nice to know if there's a way to kick windows back to using the yankee keyboard it came with.
    Win 95 used to have some file it used to store your keyboard settings and if you killed it the system booted from the US keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

Ah well, nuked the system to get it up and running again.
    Would be nice to know if there's a way to kick windows back to using the yankee keyboard it came with.
    Win 95 used to have some file it used to store your keyboard settings and if you killed it the system booted from the US keyboard.

You can do this, go: Controll panel/Regional and Lang options/Languages/Details

You can change to any keyboard/language layout, the same as if you where installing windows.

You can change you keyboard settings easily enough but I wasn't able to log into windows at all as some cheeky monkey disabled my ALT key.
    Fortunately I've found a fix, do a full ghost dump of the system when all set up and recover from that so you can reset the settings back to where they should be.
    What kind of a cheeky article changes a keyboard to have no alt key and walks away from it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement