Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 9: Curry

Options
  • 02-03-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Mea culpa for being tardy but here it is.

It's a kinda curry

I use leftover Sunday roast for this. Can be chicken, lamb, pork or beef. For this attempt I used the leg meat from a roast chicken. I make the recipe up as I go along and generally throw in anything I find in the fridge.

Ingredients
    Shredded cooked chicken meat - 250gms
    red chilli medium - finely chopped
    Chunk of root ginger - peeled and finely chopped
    Three cloves of garlic - peeled and crushed
    Three tablespoons of groundnut or rapeseed oil
    Dry sherry 3tbs
    Chicken stock 250mls (made from the chicken carcass)
    Sweet pepper - finely chopped
    Medium onion - finely chopped
    Tomato puree 3tbs
    Light soya sauce 3tbs
    Ground cumin - level teaspoon
    Ground cinnamon - level teaspoon
    Flour - tablespoon
    Mushrooms - 100gms - finely chopped
    M&S or Franks Hot Sauce to taste
    Scallions - bunch - finely chopped
    Basmati or Thai rice

Method
    Heat oil in pan/wok and fry chilli, ginger and garlic. Add onions and fry for a couple of minutes and add pepper and finally mushrooms, continuing to stir. Add spices and fry on for 2 or 3 minutes. Throw in chicken and stir well. Add flour and fry still stirring well. Add sherry and cook for 3 minutes ensuring that nothing sticks to the pan. Add soya sauce and stock and cook for ten minutes while cooking rice in a separate pan. Add scallions and hot sauce to sauce before serving.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

do you think it would matter if we left the sherry and the chillies out ?

dont do chilies and we dont have much demand for sherry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Nice !. I will try this on Thursday.
    I have been looking for a curry from scratch. I think I actually have all the Ingredients, bought a root ginger last week in Superquinn thinking I would use it someday so here goes.
    I have started to cook my rice in the oven in a dish and its working out great. So Thursady is joolsveer Curry & and oven baked rice.. :pac: :pac: :pac:

M&S or Franks Hot Sauce to taste??
    What is that or what would be an equivalent? Us jobs seakers don't shop in M&S :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It's chili sauce. If it's just for heat, you could use fresh chilis, or chili flakes to the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

irishbird wrote: »
    do you think it would matter if we left the sherry and the chillies out ?

dont do chilies and we dont have much demand for sherry :)

You could leave the chilli out if you add cayenne pepper for a bit of spiciness or add more hot sauce. Instead of the dry sherry get some Chinese cooking wine (I got some in Tesco I think). Try the Chinese shop in Abbey Street (near Jervis Centre) for sauces etc. They are great value).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

M&S or Franks Hot Sauce to taste??
    What is that or what would be an equivalent? Us jobs seakers don't shop in M&S :D

I got the Franks sauce in Superquinn and the M&S sauce in Lisburn. It lasts for ages.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks, no hot sauce for me though - i cant eat anything like that my stomach screams for about 3 weeks afterwards :(

i

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

TechnoPool wrote: »
    bump!

Why, did you make it? Has anyone?

I'll give it a go this weekend, as most of this stuff comprises my store-cupboard staples (apart from the sherry, ahem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I made this tonight and I didn't think was great at all :( sorry, no offence OP! I know you did say you make it as you go and all that but it just wasn't for me. I wasn't too convinced by the recipe tbh but thought I'd give it a go anyway. I have pics BTW which I'll post up on Monday.

So, it started out well: Garlic, chilli and ginger... happy days. Things could go very well from here very easily (maybe just a can of coconut milk and we're all set?!) ... but it just goes a bit all over the shop after that imo - tomato puree, cinnamon, soy sauce etc, and I actually couldn't taste any of it after the Franks Red Hot sauce went in.

Anyway, maybe I messed it up or maybe it'd be be right up someone elses alley but that's just my opinion and I do offer it with the utmost respect, OP.

It is a cooking club after all though and dissecting things and offering opinions afterwards is one of the main benefits (I think... is it? I hope so or I'm going to look a right a$$hole here :/ ) !!

Thanks Jools - we did eat it -and it was different!

• Advertisement

Made this today. We had mixed comments on this. I thought it was very nice and so did my daughter. The wife and son said it was just ok. Only put a smidgen of franks hot sauce because of nice1franko's comments. Its worth a try if you wanna try Kinda curry from scratch.

To me this is what Cooking club is all about, recipes that people have either invented of seriously modified from an original. Nice1 joolsveer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

So, it started out well: Garlic, chilli and ginger... happy days. Things could go very well from here very easily (maybe just a can of coconut milk and we're all set?!) ... but it just goes a bit all over the shop after that imo - tomato puree, cinnamon, soy sauce etc, and I actually couldn't taste any of it after the Franks Red Hot sauce went in.

That's what I thought aswell when I read the ingredients list. I couldn't imagine sweet cinnamon, vinegary Franks sauce and salty soy sauce in one recipe. I guess that's what you'd call "umami"! :)
    It is a cooking club after all though and dissecting things and offering opinions afterwards is one of the main benefits (I think... is it? I hope so or I'm going to look a right a$$hole here :/ ) !!

True!

Anyway, I made it last night for lunch today. I had a couple of tastes last night and it wasn't bad at all. I did vary the ingredients, though. I used less cinnamon, Sriracha instead of Franks (it's less vinegary) and added a squeeze of lime juice. I didn't add any sherry because I don't have any.

I never shredded chicken before and am happy with the way that worked out. I did it by pulling apart the strands of meat along the grain by hand. Time consuming but worth it.

As I had too much chicken I used the rest to make something like Chinese takeaway-style crispy shredded chicken:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5389

Thank you, joolsveer, for the recipe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Here's my attempt at this:

wX5ne.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Made this last night, liked it. Thanks. :)

Advertisement