Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medion netbook memory spec

Options
  • 02-03-2010 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Some friend of my father-in-laws spotted the Medion Netbook offer (299Eu for a 1GB DDRAM netbook running Windows 7)

I have no real experience of Windows 7 and its memory footprint but would I be correct to say that running MSOffice even for basic tasks could be very tight on a machine with a spec like that ?
    Do these netbooks run slimmed down office suites ?

I know that Windows 7 is leaner (considerably) than Vista in terms of memory overhead but I just want to be sure that this non-computer literate guy isn't sold a pig in a poke and that he realises what realistically he can run on such a machine ?

Also.. the 10 inch screen size sounds limited for a 50+ year old gent ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think they made a big deal of Win7 working on those 1gb netbooks. It would more than likely have some of the bells and whistles turned off but that's no great lose for a portable PC.

I've seen these tiny PCs and I don't think I could live with one. To me it would be one of those purchases that you'd only make if you had to for some reason.

I've stopped using office nearly completely, especially since I upgraded to Win7 for some reason.

Open office might run smother on a smaller PC like that and google docs would have no problems running on that setup as it's all handled by googles servers.

Does it have a video out? If it has you will be able to plug a monitor into it when your at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

Vista needed a minimum of 2 GB to load itself and office, if you had less some apps would not be able to run.
    The 10 inch screen makes it a netbook and likely to be used by students who don't mind it being small as they're only using it for typing essays and the like. For someone in their 50's I'd advise saving up for a decent 17 inch screen. That or buying a cable to hook up the laptop to the TV so they can use that as a monitor.
    The price isn't bad if you aren't a heavy PC user but you would definately need to triple the memory to avoid hassle.

Advertisement