Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Puppies

Options
  • 02-03-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I just got two new puppies yesterday, they are 9 weeks old, until they are a little older I have a temporary pen set up for them in our garage, they have enough room to roam around, and their water and "potty area" are kept well away from each other, however I will have to mend it as the clever little buggers have already figured out how to escape!

Anyway, I have a big kennell I will be moving them into when they are a bit older, and I am also going to purchase an outside pen (10ft long and wide, 6ft high) in which the kennel will be placed along with toys and water, everything to keep them entertained whenever they are kept in there.

My question is, how long should I wait before I move them from the temporary pen to the outside one? I know the weather is freezing at the moment so they won't be going out anytime soon, but at what age would they be able to sleep outside in their own kennell?

The reason why they are being kept in our garage now is because they are sheep dogs and I want to keep them as outside dogs, they won't be allowed into the house.

Appreciate any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

hey there - just wondered if you are going to be using them as sheep dogs?

do you have only the one kennel for the outside area - are the dogs male/female?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you bring them into to the house now there is no reason why they wouldn't behave where as if you keep them outside and for some reason one or both need to be brought indoors (eg if one became ill and needed to be kept an eye on) then they could be difficult. Either way gettin them used to being in the house as well as enjoying the outdoors is important at that age wether they are working dogs or not.

I wouldn't move them outside until May at least that's when the frost has usually gone for sure and it warms up. Weather is so upredictable at the moment and they are very young.

Advertisement