Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barking dogs next door

Options
  • 02-03-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

i bought a new semi detached house in a private estate 7 years ago and 3 years ago the local borough council bought the attached house. They put in a lady with her 3 children from one of the more disadvantaged areas of sligo.

I am all for integration and since they have moved in while i have no major problem with the people although they do have a few parties and people coming and going at all the hours of night.

The problem is that they have 3 dogs who bark all night and it is impossible to sleep in the back 2 bedrooms turning my 4 bed house into essentially a 2 bed house and forcing me to put my 2 year old daughter into the front boxroom.

i dont want to confront these people as i am a little scared of what might happen.

Any suggestions appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Integration of who?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Find out if the council allow animals in their houses. If not report it to them and ISPCA.

also for a first approach don't confront them, rather politely ask would they try and do something about it. If response is negative or nothing is done then escalate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Sligored wrote: »
    I am all for integration and since they have moved in while i have no major problem with the people although they do have a few parties and people coming and going at all the hours of night........i dont want to confront these people as i am a little scared of what might happen.

The fact that they are living in a council house is irrelevant to the issue of the dogs barking....if they owned the house and the dogs were barking so badly as to keep people awake you do the exact same as you do if they are living in a council house and call the environmental protection agency or the council but I really would try and sort it out without having to call someone. Plenty of threads on the Pets forum about things getting out of hand over dogs barking....you should be polite and try and speak to them at least once before going and calling someone, it's very easy for some people to get use to noise and not know it's causing others issue if they don't say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

I find it strange you haven't titled this thread 'barking dogs next door' since you claim that's the crux of your issue.

Council tenants have every right to have dogs but no right to disturb people with them. They're bound by the same environmental noise pollution laws as everyone else.

You should tell your neighbours that their dogs have you driven up the walls to the point where you can't use your back bedrooms. If you were to get a negative response I'd advise you to report them to your local council as, like I said, nobody has a right to disturb people day and night with their dogs or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

You can complain to the Local Authority and they can prosecute for noise pollution. I have seen them do it...but as with any LA dont expect anything in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Contact the DSPCA and inform them that you think the dogs may not be cared for properly as they are barking incessantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

convert wrote: »
    Contact the DSPCA and inform them that you think the dogs may not be cared for properly as they are barking incessantly.

Not alot the DSPCA can do in Sligo....if going that route the op would need to get in touch with the ISPCA and find out details for the local branch, however the ISPCA does not have much authority to remove the dogs unless they are being severely mistreated. The ISPCA is a charity not a legal body. If the OP does call the ISPCA without saying anything to the people next door they are just going to annoy them and make them very unlikely to co-operate where as talking to them like they are neighbours, which they are regardless of it being a council house, might sort the issue with little fuss and if it doesn't you can at least say to the council that you made the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I dunno, dogs don't bark for no reason, either something is bothering them or they are neglected.

I have a dog myself, who lives with my family, and he barks sometimes because of kids messing around at night in the graveyard behind their house. Basically nobody complains because for years my parents had grief with people getting into their garden, and all kinds of harassment from these little pigs, and nobody would support them. So they got a dog. Now most of the other houses on the street have been broken into - except theirs! (They did get a house alarm also as its so bad where they live).

I lived in the upper level of a mews a few years ago, and the people in the downstairs apartment apparently got a rescue dog from a kennel somewhere who didn't check them out. They just threw the dog out loose when they went to work and the poor thing just ended up wandering around all day. It was very quiet though.
    Then they started tieing it to a drainpipe and it started to whine and cry all day, from about 9 to 6 during the day - it was horrible. Also they left it no water, food, and nowhere it could shelter. I phoned the ISPCA but nothing happened. Poor thing I did feel sorry for it, even though I was working night shifts and couldn't sleep a wink. They are fairly useless that lot. Some people are just so clueless and inconsiderate its not funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

They put in a lady with her 3 children from one of the more disadvantaged areas of sligo.

I am all for integration

:eek::eek:

OP you obviously are not advantaged enough to buy a house in an estate which is too classy for social housing to be granted! :D

Right I had it.....:mad::mad::mad:

Last night the ****ty little jack Russell next door barked constantly from 11.30 to 6.30 am until I went out to it....

I found out what the prob seems to be....our back garden backs onto another back garden and there is a wooden fence in between. There is one of the slats broken.

For some strange reason there are 3 cats sitting in our lawn and on the oil tank. Not ours..seem to be stray cats. So this dog is sticking his head through the fence into our lawn and just barking his head off at the cats he cant get near.

I went out a 6.20 am (I only moved in 2 weeks ago and my room is the back room) and pushed the broken slat back into place and put a broom against it. The dog cant see into our lawn or the cats and he stopped barking.

Will see how the weekend goes before I speak to the pleb who lives there and before I report her. I am 99% sure it is social and affordable housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

OP, if the dogs are not being mistreated/severely neglected then there's no point in calling any SPCA as they can't don anything to help. Ringing your local dog warden is one option, he can check if they have licences for all the dogs etc. Start documenting everything, get a little notebook and write down dates; times; duration of barking etc. This can be useful down the road when dealing with your local authority. A video recording would be handy too just to have the volume of the barking on record.

Right did some research and guess what...the house is owned by the Town Council and rented out to a single mother which is surprising....NOT....:rolleyes:

I just rang the Council and told them story and they took my name and number. This lady is supposed to ring me back in a bit...I wont hold my breath..:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

Right did some research and guess what...the house is owned by the Town Council and rented out to a single mother which is surprising....NOT....:rolleyes:
    (

Why is that surprising...NOT?

Is there a link between between single mothers and dog ownership? Please elaborate...

What is not surprising is the fact the house is designated social and affordable housing and rented to an unemployed chain smoking single mother.

It was a brand new house 12 months ago and the place now looks like a knackers yard.

If she worked, saved for a deposit, applied and got a mortgage and paid the asking price of €285k like 85% of the home owners there, she sure as hell wouldnt treat the place like a civic amenity area and she would be far more sensitive to her neighbours who likewise spent a hell of a lot of money on their property.

She doesnt give a ****...there are other dog owners with no problems whatsoever.

That is why it is not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

i bought a new semi detached house in a private estate 7 years ago and 3 years ago the local borough council bought the attached house. They put in a lady with her 3 children from one of the more disadvantaged areas of sligo.

I am all for integration and since they have moved in while i have no major problem with the people although they do have a few parties and people coming and going at all the hours of night.

The problem is that they have 3 dogs who bark all night and it is impossible to sleep in the back 2 bedrooms turning my 4 bed house into essentially a 2 bed house and forcing me to put my 2 year old daughter into the front boxroom.

i dont want to confront these people as i am a little scared of what might happen.

Any suggestions appreciated?

Whenever im trying to sleep and there is noise,i wear my ear muffs in bed.They block out virtually every sound!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm confused, is partyguinness the OP, or just doing a spectacular hijack? :p

OP, ring the Corporation and find out the housing officer for your area. Tell them the dogs are being a nuisance. In my experience, they will move to sort it out faster in a private estate.

I wouldn't even bother ringing the Sligo Dog Warden. Beyond useless.

EDIT: I am speaking as an unemployed single parent - and a SMOKER to boot. Perhaps you should ignore my advice - we are apparently all the same...

I'm confused, is partyguinness the OP, or just doing a spectacular hijack? :p

OP, ring the Corporation and find out the housing officer for your area. Tell them the dogs are being a nuisance. In my experience, they will move to sort it out faster in a private estate.

I wouldn't even bother ringing the Sligo Dog Warden. Beyond useless.

Well no I am not the OP and Yes it does seem like a hijack...:D

But I am pretty much in the exact same situation that's why I am posting...but we better keep on topic..:)

(Slinks away to get coat)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dialer

I would have thought that the local police would have the right to appoach this woman seeing as the dog is causing a nuisance and disturbing the peace after the likes of 10.30pm. they would have the right to enforce and assure that the situation is dealt with, and if not they may see that it is removed from the property if enough calls regarding that house come in.
    They would keep you details confidential to which it could have been any local neighbour that reported the annoying dog.

Pleeding to people like this gets you nowhere as they don't give a damn, so an authoritive figure they may lisen to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dialer wrote: »
    I would have thought that the local police would have the right to appoach this woman seeing as the dog is causing a nuisance and disturbing the peace after the likes of 10.30pm. they would have the right to enforce and assure that the situation is dealt with, and if not they may see that it is removed from the property if enough calls regarding that house come in.
    They would keep you details confidential to which it could have been any local neighbour that reported the annoying dog.

Pleeding to people like this gets you nowhere as they don't give a damn, so an authoritive figure they may lisen to.

That's incorrect the dogs barking are a noise pollution issue and are covered under civil law, nothing to do with the gardai.

Basically what the OP needs to do is:

1. Inform the neighbours of the nuisance (this can be done with an annoymous note, it happened to me and I dealt with it)
    2. Approach the council about the noise.
    3. With the assistance of the council, take note formally of the noise and go to court.

See http://www.ispca.ie/Noisy-Dogs.aspx barking dogs are dealt with under this.

Advertisement