Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Retro

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks, really been giving the thought of getting back into PC gaming and playing some retro games a lot of time since playing the godly System Shock 2. I'll use this as a good reference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh how I miss 90s pc gaming. There was such a big difference between pc and console games at the time. Two totally different experiences.

I no longer care about upgrading my pc to play new games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

First thing I thought when I read "Retro PC" was XCom...........and lo and behold the first pic that pops up in the link :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only reason I'd upgrade my PC is to play the Stalker games since my girlfriend keeps going on about how good they are. But then I'd be afraid that I'd have trouble playing old games. i think I'll keep my crappy PC until I beat Deus EX and Thief 1 and 2.

Master of the Universe

Best thing to do with old games is just to buy/find/rescue a cheap second hand laptop and install an older OS on it. That way you don't have to worry about all this compatability ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

There's a nice selection of older games on Good Old Games and they're all Vista/Windows 7 compatible. Now if only they'd get System Shock 2 because it is a lot of hassle to get working on Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

My favourite site for retro PC games related issues:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/

VOGONS (very old games on new systems)

I picked up SIM City 2000 Special Edition on CD from Age Ireland for a euro. Nice video interviews on the CD with the creator of it.

Still quite a zen game to fiddle with, I never get bored just trying to start a city.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Best thing to do with old games is just to buy/find/rescue a cheap second hand laptop and install an older OS on it. That way you don't have to worry about all this compatability ****e.

A lot of old games don't behave well with some very odd resolutions and refresh rates being pushed to the laptop display, sadly. If they do work, they look awful, for one reason or another.

Master of the Universe

Amalgam wrote: »
    A lot of old games don't behave well with some very odd resolutions and refresh rates being pushed to the laptop display, sadly. If they do work, they look awful, for one reason or another.

Do you mean they're being messed up by the laptops resolutions?

I would imagine could be rectified by setting the laptops default res & colour settings to something similar to the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

theres a good link in that article listing all the old games released as freeware now

Advertisement