Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rip off ireland still alive and well in the motor trade

Options
  • 02-03-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

This makes me laugh . we see everyday the government trying to tell us that wages and social welfare rates are too high and we need to get them down , they reckon that prices have fallen to lowest levels since the 80s and base their cuts on that .. so ok fair point ... but then we have the irish motor trade
    What a Fu+king joke and still ripping the sh-t out of peoples pockets during the greatest recession in 40 years
    i need two back shocks for a starlet and have shopped around at least 5 places at cheapest quote 260.00 , it s a fu-king starlet not the space shuttle
    i priced the parts myself on ebay from a jap car parts place in england and including postage it works out at 99.00 euro for two rear shocks , checked the part number and they match exact same shocks
    So that means that these greedy fat greasy bas=ards are making 161 euro for about 1 hours work.. 30 mins to fit the shocks and 30 to pick his arse
    not bad eh

The motor trade needs to cop on , i for one will buy the parts on ebay as they are exact match and get local indie to fit them for 30 quid.

Rip off Ireland alive and well at your local garage .. hard to feel sorry for mechanics on the dole
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Are you comparing a fitted price to an Ebay price?

That's some mechanic if they can fit a pair of shocks in 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Was it 5 main dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're forgetting that included in the price is also rent for the garage, heating, salaries and of course some profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

They're not ripping you off as such. They're ripping you off by being lazy.

I bet they all used the same supplier/ distributor. All you got was a few different prices for the very same pair of shocks at the very same price. I bet they wouldn't even make much from supplying the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

bladespin wrote: »
    Are you comparing a fitted price to an Ebay price?

That's some mechanic if they can fit a pair of shocks in 30 mins.

A pair of shocks on a starlet are relatively easy to do, myself and a mate were at them one day. It took us just under two hours from wheel off to opposite wheel back on, that included a bit of head scratching...

We didnt have an impact gun either which would shave minutes off...

But no mechanic would be able to fit a pair of shocks in 30 mins and id eat my shoe if ya can get em done for €30 at a local garage.

Fair play for shopping around though, Honda want €180 for a lambda sensor and i got one for 58 Sterling, will fit it myself in 5 mins when i get it later this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Right now the only reason a business would keep prices the way they are is because some people are still willing to pay the price. I'd hate to own shares in a business you run

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

while I wouldn't go as far as the poster above, I do reckon hourly rates in the motor trade are still far to high to be justified. Some places are coming down, ie standard service costs have dropped but in general there has been little movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Rip off Ireland alive and well at your local garage .. hard to feel sorry for mechanics on the dole
    :mad:

Thanks for that!

How much of what a garage charges do you think a mechanic gets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

barry81 wrote: »
    Thanks for that!

How much of what a garage charges do you think a mechanic gets?

Very little, the brother works for a main dealer and earns 400 a week, they charge 125 an hour for work.. the maths dont add up at all.

The garage charges the customer the rrp for the shocks, they don't pay that for them, also they obviously charge labour too. €260 for two shocks supplied and fitted doesn't sound at all out of the wa. What brand of shocks did you see on ebay, there are many brands that are muck.

The factors I worked on sold Boge, a chap one day freaked out at the price of front shocks for a 520, he siad he could get them for half of that elsewhere, I was already giving him trade discount even though he was no trade so there wasn't much else I could do, I mentioned that he wouldn't get Boge or equivalent for that price at which point he continued his rant and kept shouting about what a rip off our prices were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Are you sure the ebay shocks are the same brand? You will never get part prices in a shop that are the same as ebay. Same for lots of products not just car parts. I'm not condoning it but there are far worse rip offs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sure, there's only about about €3 worth of metal in a shock absorber anyway. Bloody cheek of the companies who make them to charge the distributor €25 for them - what a markup!

And as for the distributor selling them to the factors for €45! €20 mark up on a set of shocks.

etc. etc. etc.

Figures picked out of thin air, but you get the point.

OP - if you are so worried about getting ripped off, why don't you make your own shocks. As said above, the raw materials won't cost too much, but you may need to invest millions in R&D and the correct machinery to make them, but at least you won't be getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Ireland hates the motorist lol no such thing as a cheap run about anymore mate really, it's pay up or get the bus.

Advertisement