Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First 2010 mock draft

Options
  • 02-03-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

I wanted to wait until I had seen the guys I wanted to at the combine before posting this.

This is likely to change quite a bit after Free Agency madness happens after next week but right now this is how I see it. Some of it seems to concur with the "experts" but I have a different take in some other draft spots

1 Rams - Ndamukong Suh
    The Ram's have a lot of needs, worst offense and worst defense in the league last year so not much to be confident about. Lots of rumours about them possibly taking Bradford but for me they take Suh. Defense win championships afterall and having Suh and Chris Long on your defensive line is really going to allow you to progress as a franchise. With Jake Locker to come out in next years draft the Rams should focus on defense and try to be in a position to use the Jets 09 mould to help a rookie QB come into a team and have some support rather than having to win games on his own. So defense the focus for the Rams this year
    and a franchise QB helod off for one more draft.

2 Lions - Gerald McCoy
    The Lions got their offensive leader last year in Matt Stafford, and combined with Calvin Johnson and Maurice Morris have good core weapons on offense now to build on for the future. I think a fit Pettigrew will also be big for them next year. So its a no brainer they take a defensive player in the first round. Starting tackle Grady Jackson is 37 so they need to find the future at the DT position so with Suh gone off the board McCoy is the Lions choice.

3 Bucs - Jason Pierre Paul
    The Bucs are anotheer team with a lot of needs so god only knows who they draft. I really feel they will try their utmost to trade down but assuming nobody bites I think they take a D End. I fancied Morgan to be the first end off the board but seeing him at the draft I wasnt impressed at all. So I predict Mr Backflip Jason Pierre Paul goes to the Bucs :)

4 Redskins - Jimmy Clausen
    Shanahan is a QB guy and will have his choice of them in this years draft. I think the Redskins have lost patience with Campbell and are going to look for their new signal caller. Whilst Bradford is being rated as the best I dont think hes ready to start immediatly and I think Shanahan will agree with that in mind I think they go with Clausen.

5 Chiefs - Anthony Davis
    Poor Matt Cassell hadnt a hope last year the Chiefs O Line was so bad so O Line it is for them. Personally I think Bruce Campbell is going to be the best tackle in this class but the scouts dont agree lol so most probably the Chiefs go with Anthony Davis hes not as powerful in the run game as Okung but he is more agile and thats what the cheifs need at Tackle

6 Seahawks - Sam Bradford
    Hasslebeck has gone backwards fast over the last 2 seasons and Seneca Wallace isnt the answer. This is probably a bit of a reach by the Seahawks but assuming Brafords shoulder injury is a thing of the past then I think the seahawks pick up Bradford.

7 Browns - Joe Haden
    The Browns secondary has massive issues. They could go with Eric Berry who is probably the better player but I think their bigger need is at corner back. Haden is an excellent corner so they pick him over Berry

8 Raiders - Derrick Morgan

God only knows what Davis will decide to do. My view is they should go with a D End as Ellis is getting on and after his year franchised I see Richard Seymore leaving the Raiders. With that in mind I think they take Derrick Morgan.

9 Bills - Russell Okung
    The Bills O Line has struggled badly since they allowed Peters go to the Eagles which was insane, they have needs a QB but I dont think they will see any QB thats worth a #9 pick so they pick up Russell Okung

10 Jaguars - Brandon Graham
    Jags GM smith has been very upfront about what the Jags want to do in the draft. Trade down and get a pass rusher. Assuming they dont trade down I think they take Brandon Graham here. A strong Senior Bowl, solid year at Michigan and a good combine including one of the fastest 40s by a dlineman means this is their pick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

11 Broncos - Dez Bryant
    The Broncos recieving corps has really gone backwards since McDaniels has taken charge. Assuming Marshall doesnt kiss and make up they the clear choice is Dez Bryant to bolster their aerial attack

12 Dolphins - Ronaldo McClain
    Its another obvious one. Its a need and hes the best linebacker in the draft.

13 49ers - CJ Spiller
    With Mike Singlatary being defensively minded I think the 49ers take a long look at Eric Berry who really should be gone off the board at this stage (theres just no love for safetys) but given how good CJ Spiller looked in the combine and what it would give the niners offense I think the take him

14 Seahawks - Eric Berry
    Not a massive need for the Seahawks but Deon Grant is getting on a bit and Berry is the best player left on the board. They could go anyway here though on either line but I think its a case of taking the best player available similar to last year when they took Aaron Curry.

15 Giants - Carlos Dunlap
    The Giants are in need on the defensive side of the ball. I think this is a choice between a linebacker or D End for them. So I think they hedge their bets a little and go for a guy who could probably play at either position at the next level. So therfore I see the Giants take Carlos Dunlap

16 Titans - Everson Griffen
    Seeing how badly the Titans wehre in the first half of last year when they couldnt pressure the QB its another D Lineman off the board I suspect. Everson Griffen is a pretty fast athletic pass rusher and the best D End left on the board so that whot he Titans take

17 49ers - Bruce Campbell
    So the niners pick up their new explosive RB and find a Tackle to help punch some holes for him. I think they go with Cambell his combine perfoemance was excellent. The logical choice is to say they will pick Trent Williams but I think Campbell has increased his stock a lot recently and moves himself into the first round.

18 Steelers - Mike Iupati
    Without question the best Guard in the class. Steelers arent afraid to spend first rounders on interior linemen and do it again here to help their run game.

19 Falcons - Kyle Wilson
    The Falcons arent overly strong in their secondary and Wilson looks to be a difference maker Being a WAC fan Ive seen a lot of him and he showed the whole of the US in the senior bowl week how good he can be. The best defensive back available so thats who the Flacons pick.

20 Texans - Sergio Kindle
    Texans could go a number of ways CB, Safety, D Line, Linebacker but I do think it will be a defensive pickup. I think at this stage of the draft it would be hard to ignore talent like Kindle left on the board so I think thats who they take.

21 Bengals - Arrelious Benn
    The Bengals rode Cedric Benson all the way to the playoffs but eventually the fact they had no recieving threat if you took Ochocinco out of the game cost them. For this reason I think they look at a recieving option. I guess the question is do they take a TE or Wide out ? I think they go with Arrelious Benn who is rated higher by scouts than by me. I think they would be much better looking at Golden Tate or even Mardy Gilliard but I expect they stick to whos percieved to be the next best reciever on the board

22 Patriots - Ryan Matthews
    Pats are likely to loo at linebacker or CB as areas to draft here, but I have this funny feeling they surprise most people and go a completly different
    direction taking Ryan Matthews the RB out of Fresno State. I think they have given Maroney as many chances as they are prepared to and I dont think they have a true feature back threat to go with Brady's passing game.

23 Packers - Bryan Bulaga
    The pack have to protect Rodgers who had absolutly no time last year. I think they go with Bryan Bulaga here to try and help resolve this issue

24 Eagles - Earl Thomas
    The Eagles need a safety badly and unless Darren Sharper or Rolle ends up in Philly through free agency its a no brainer that they draft a safety here. Think its between Thomas and Mays but Thomas is probably that little bit more developped and solid covering the deep ball so they go with him

25 Ravens - Golden Tate
    The Ravens defense is always good and I think their focus will be on getting an outlet for Flacco to go to. I think Golden Tate fits well. He can stretch the field has good hands. Not being touted as a first rounder on any boards Ive seen but I think he gets in here

26 Cardinals - Brian Price
    The Cardinals are very week in defense and have to plug here. Giving a field day to the QB's in the playoffs. I dont see any Ends that I think are good enough to go at this stage so I think they take Brain Price on the interior to try and shore up the defense a bit. Brian Price is still on the board and I think thats a bit lower than he should be so the Cards take some nice talent at #26

27 Cowboys - Trent Williams
    The cowboys have a few needs but I think they go with an OT here. Flozell Adams is just a terrible terrible tackle and I think the Cowboys finally lose patience with him and draft a replacement. With that in mind I think they take Trent Williams off the board here.

28 Chargers - Jahvid Best
    LT is gone and Sproles isnt gonna be a feature back. Best was impressive at the combine and although his durability is a little questionable I think the Chargers take him here.

29 Jets - Demaryius Thomas
    The Jets are sorted in defense so its gonna be some help for Sanchez here. Some good TE's to pickup here but Sanchez has a good rapport with Keller so they look at wideouts. Demaryius Thomas should help them in this regard so thats who they take.

30 Vikings - Dan Williams
    Will be interesting to see what happens here especially if Farve descied hes not coming back. Could they perhaps spring a monster surprise and draft Tebow to reunite him with Harvin ? Its not inconcievable they wouldnt have to rush him in given Jackson has taken them to the playoffs before so he could take 1-2 years to get set. That said the Vikes dont tend to gamble and given Pat Williams is getting on a bit, so the much more obvious bet is that they take a DT. They have a propensity for DT's by the name of Williams so they go take Dan Williams lol.

31 Colts - Jared Odrick
    Colts run defense hasnt been great in a few years now its masked by the fact they jump clear often and force the opposition to get pass heavy, but its an area they should look at drafting. With this in mind I see them taking Jared Odrick

32 Saints - Taylor Mays
    The Saints could go with absolutly anybody given the Free agency situation they could see themselves in. I think that Sharper might be let go and Taylor Mays may be drafted to fill the void but we wil have to wait and see. Seeing them draft Sean Weatherspoon or Jerry Huhes to bolster their LB core wouldnt be out of the question either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I personally think that Bradford is a far superior QB than Clausen and that Bradford will go to Redskins if Rams pass him up.

I also don't think Seahawks will take a QB at all. I think they'll wait till next draft or the draft the year after to take one.

Great posts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Nice draft D3PO!

2 things i disagree with tho are that Bradford will be 1st QB taken (may even go to the Rams at No1) and that the Pats wont take a RB unless Spiller drops that far which i doubt.

Hazys your probably right on both counts this is only my first Mock depending on how Bradford fares when he throws for the scouts this could change a good bit.

Also its unlikely the Pats will draft a RB but I guess as I did the draft and looked at who was left in my rankings in which position It all of a sudden became a possibility. Its 99% not gonna happen though and Im sure when I do my next mock in 3 weeks time after FA and some of the pro days that will be changed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

I think the Raiders will take Bruce Campbell with the 8th pick. The O-Line has been dodgey to awful for quite some time now.

I think the Raiders will take Bruce Campbell with the 8th pick. The O-Line has been dodgey to awful for quite some time now.

good to see somebody else that rates Campbell as high as me. The scouts dont seem to think so but I think hes one of the best Tackles in this draft.

Ive seen many board with him either not in the first round or very late it it. Dont think the Raiders take an O Lineman though, the O Line seemed fine when Jokemarcus was out of the lineup ;)

actually now I think of it they will probably take Jacoby Ford I mean hes has the fastest 40 time in the combine since Chris Johnson so hes probably a lock :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

D3PO wrote: »

actually now I think of it they will probably take Jacoby Ford I mean hes has the fastest 40 time in the combine since Chris Johnson so hes probably a lock :D:D

.... its all about the stats!

-this just in, Raiders draft Usain Bolt

• Registered Users Posts: 40 seanin98

pretty impressive for a first mock ... this SI are on their fourth and your top end is not a million miles off theirs ...

seanin98 wrote: »
    pretty impressive for a first mock ... this SI are on their fourth and your top end is not a million miles off theirs ...

second draft will be up once the pro days finish. so stay tuned :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There's been quite a change since this was originally done. JPP has dropped quite a bit and will go mid-late in the first, Dunlop probably won't go in the first and Trent Williams has shoot up the draft as well. Bradford is looking like he is going no.1 as well which will alter things a lot. Always love draft time, next few weeks will be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

There's been quite a change since this was originally done. JPP has dropped quite a bit and will go mid-late in the first, Dunlop probably won't go in the first and Trent Williams has shoot up the draft as well. Bradford is looking like he is going no.1 as well which will alter things a lot. Always love draft time, next few weeks will be very interesting.

Totally agree! I wonder of Okung will go to the lions as opposed to a DT. For the sake of protecting Stafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

From SI's reporters at USC's pro day
    Taylor Mays did not improve in the position drills after poor showings at the Senior Bowl and NFL combine. He was stiff, he practiced upright, and he looked very robotic, uneasy and off-balance while breaking to the ball. He struggled changing direction at full speed and was asked to repeat drills on a few occasions.
    As was the case earlier this year, several scouts said they think a move to linebacker is in the offing for Mays. Scouts in general are starting to compare him to former Dallas Cowboys first round pick Roy Williams; an oversized college safety with poor skills in pass coverage.

There doesn't seem to be too much for love for Mays in the press tent. It's a shame (for him) that he stayed in school because last year he was a guarenteed top half of the first round but it seems like he keeps falling further and further down the draft boards now with coaches and evaluators all shocked at his poor senior bowl and combine.

On a better note(for Longhorns fans anyway!) Colt McCoy had his pro day and completed all his passes. He took the majority of his snaps simulated from under centre and apparently impressed people with his footwork and playaction passes. Jordan Shipley also worked out and some team will get a great slot reciever in the mid rounds with him.

Earl Thomas ran a 4.35 40, but Texas has always had a 'fast track' but it compares very favourably to Michael Huff and other defensive backs from the last few years. I've to say I'm a big fan of Thomas who could become a ball hawking NFL safety in the mould of Ed Reed if he gets into the right system in the pros

Advertisement