Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz with kids - feeling guilty for leaving family behind

Options
  • 02-03-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Australia, we think we could find decent work there while improving the quality of life. Many of our friends and extended family have moved there over the past 10 years and have great things to say about it.

However, we have a young son, and plan more kids. We feel very guilty about taking our kids away from their grandparents.

At the moment, this guilt is the main thing holding us back. We have lived abroad before but never so far away, and that was before kids were on the agenda.

Has anyone else been through this guilt, or have any advice?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Australia, we think we could find decent work there while improving the quality of life. Many of our friends and extended family have moved there over the past 10 years and have great things to say about it.

However, we have a young son, and plan more kids. We feel very guilty about taking our kids away from their grandparents.

At the moment, this guilt is the main thing holding us back. We have lived abroad before but never so far away, and that was before kids were on the agenda.

Has anyone else been through this guilt, or have any advice?

Many thanks

Hi Bob

yes we did this but with no kids, however in light of that we still took with us our unborn grandkids if you get me. Everyone who moves here takes there kids present and future with them. I am sure your ma told you this mine sure did repeatedly.

What work are you in? Because chances are if you have the right attitude skills and PR yeah work is avialible it takes a while to get but is there.

I also can tell you as a young son when my folks once migrated I was fine. fact is as long as he keeps in education you can bring him back if you change your mind the risk is minimal.

The quality of life here is good you miss your old friends and family a lot plus with a young kid I would expect more so. However this comes with the territory.

The guilt I cant help you with, a lot of irish parents seem to expect there kids to move into the neighbouring suburb have kids and be round every weekend. when I am that age I know that's what I would want to.

Essentially this is your life and decisions like this can be tough but I would resolve to go for 4 years one of you takes up dual citizenship and then assess. If Oz has not lived up to its name you can always go back.

The question you need to ask your wife is do we want to do this. Then act on the answer the next day. we did not tell our folks we where going till the Visa was fully processed. We told them and where gone in 2-3 months, I would strongly advise keeping your migration plan a secret, as its a real pain every time you meet someone and it.

"ah sure I thought you where off to Australia"

It does not help when you are in Limbo for a visa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'd feel guiltier for keeping my kids in this stinking country. Wish I could afford to move! Go for it and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

I agree. What future do our kids have here the way things are going! Although I would have small pangs of guilt ultimately its for the best for your kids and yourself

Advertisement