Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you depressed?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here is suffering from depression or anxiety?

I found that after drinking, with the usual hangover, i'd get depression and bad anxiety for 3 days after, up to a week after.

So anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I used to be the very same Ciaran, although it may not last a week but that really just depended on what I was doing.

If I didn't have much on that week and was just sitting at home on my own I'd be awful depressed. Alcohol is a depressant anyway so it's perfectly normal. I'm sure it has something to do with serotonin too (I can't spell).

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Bassfish

If i was out say more than twice in a week or had a very heavy weekend, for a day or two after i would often be miserable and just feeling **** about everything which is actually not in my nature at all, i'm usually very positive. I once got a bit of bad but not terrible news after a very heavy weekend of drinking and was really upset. Couldn't figure out why until my girlfriend said ' you've drank gallons of a depressant over the last few days and you wonder why you're down?'

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

This is a very common reaction to drinking as by account from what I was told drink well make you happy when you on it and a right old dead face when you try staying off it.
    As for for hangovers and the head in the can, well while that happens too over the last 6-7 years I being what I'm told is called borderline dependent so rarely got sick or had hangovers, so cant offer much up their.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Ciaran187 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone here is suffering from depression or anxiety?

I found that after drinking, with the usual hangover, i'd get depression and bad anxiety for 3 days after, up to a week after.

So anyone else in the same boat?

Hey Ciaran,

I think I'm in the same boat... If I go drinking for 2 nights in a row, I'm a mental mess the next day, and this usually last for a day, or 2 more although not as bad. My mind is always racing with negative thoughts. For example, last weekend after drinking for 2 nights, I started thinking about what it would be like if my brother died. It's like the drink compels me to think about stuff I never bother thinking about when I have a clear head. I went to the cinema a couple of days after the weekend and was watching The Hurt Locker. Even though it was the second time I'd seen it, I was so tense and anxious I thought I was going to have to leave the cinema.

These feelings all started a few years ago and are still present. I'm 28, male. I never get a sore head or sick stomach. I'd easily swap these for my mental sickness.

The night after a night's drinking, or more so after 2 night's drinking, I get terrible visions and nightmares when in bed 'sleeping'. I never get too afraid because I always know it's the drink but it's still scary.

I have cut down on my drinking (I am only a weekend drinker) but when I do get drunk, the exact same thing happens.

None of my friends get the same way as me. Some can go out and go to work the next day and preform ok. That would be beyond me, physically I could do it, mentally no way.

The culture we live in makes it difficult to not drink I find but I think the only solution to my problem is to cut down on drinking. Drink but not get drunk.

I'd love to find someone who went through this and how they overcame it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 smaaaa

yup im the same it doesnt suit me at all when im drinking and it takes me around 4 days to get over it!!!
    i think when your head is messed and your kinda shy its just a recipe for disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

I actually went through exactly the same for most of my adult life (Im now 30!) I suffered from terrible shocking anxiety the day after drinking, the depression followed also, but the anxiety interfered with my life...... If I was out on a Saturday night, the only way I could function on a Sunday was to either end up out again that day for a few, which eased my anxiety straight away or to just stay in bed all day, which meant my week end was ruined and back to work on Monday!
    It was really weird, but I went to the doctor, went to a hypnotist, went to councelling everything you can imagine and nothing seemed to help......but then it dawned on me that it only happened sometimes......... Now I would have it if I mixed drinks and drank spirits - I suppose I realised the only drink I can have and still function with is beer - so my advice would be to see which drinks are doing this for you, you will be surpised to see that once you eliminate these drinks it should go! The depression will ease too, but will remain due to the alcohol being in your system! hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Bassfish

You've a point there GoldenLady. Although it's obviously better to stay clear of the effects of alcohol altogether to avoid the emotional rollercoaster but different drinks definately have diffeent effects. My girlfrend, when she drank spirits used to go crazy. The tiniest thing would start her bawling crying and she liked to wander out of the pub alone. I actually told her i wouldn't go out with her any more if she drank spirits. She now only drinks Coors light and while she obviously gets tipsy, there's none of the ridiculous behaviour.

Advertisement