Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering new Jeep

Options
  • 02-03-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Morning All,

Just wanted to get a few opinions.

I'm thinking of changing my 110 Defender for something else.

The 2 main reasons are
    1. Access to the load space - the main reason I got a 4x4 was for towing and load space. The 110 will tow all day and the load space is brilliant - but access to it isn't the best. We do a lot of diving so getting a load of gear in and out of one door can be a pain. So looking to get a commercial with rear doors to get in and out of.
    2. Long range driving comfort - not doing as much laning/off roading to justify the Defender - and I'm getting old and like me comforts.

So I'm looking at the other options out there. At the moment you can get Discovery 3s for about 14k. Thinking that might be the way to go - can keep it taxed and insured commercial. The entire width of the boot opens up and it comes with the 2 rear doors. Also supposed to be pretty comfy to drive (but the mpg is awful). There's a dealer nearby so might mosey down and take a good look.

What I'm wondering is if there's anything else I should be considering? Also is it worth looking in the UK and can you still import a commercial for the flat €50 VRT?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

bigfeller wrote: »
    Morning All,

Just wanted to get a few opinions.

I'm thinking of changing my 110 Defender for something else.

The 2 main reasons are
    1. Access to the load space - the main reason I got a 4x4 was for towing and load space. The 110 will tow all day and the load space is brilliant - but access to it isn't the best. We do a lot of diving so getting a load of gear in and out of one door can be a pain. So looking to get a commercial with rear doors to get in and out of.
    2. Long range driving comfort - not doing as much laning/off roading to justify the Defender - and I'm getting old and like me comforts.

So I'm looking at the other options out there. At the moment you can get Discovery 3s for about 14k. Thinking that might be the way to go - can keep it taxed and insured commercial. The entire width of the boot opens up and it comes with the 2 rear doors. Also supposed to be pretty comfy to drive (but the mpg is awful). There's a dealer nearby so might mosey down and take a good look.

What I'm wondering is if there's anything else I should be considering? Also is it worth looking in the UK and can you still import a commercial for the flat €50 VRT?

Cheers.

LWB land cruiser should be obtainable for that money now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

PLenty of D3 commercials around here, popular with some contractors before someone shot the Celtic Tiger, D3s can be had for less in the UK but very few will be commercial. I'd be wary of official dealers unless you want LR warranty, they are generally clueless muppets.

Most jeep commercials based on passenger vehicles will be 13.5% VRT, you'd need to check the Revenue website as they keep shifting the goalposts over wheelbase and loadspace. Plenty of threads on the subject if you search inc a recent conversion on an import.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Disco 3 has a fold down section on the rear door. Might be a problem for loading?
    The Nissan patrol can be got with barn door type rear access which could be handy.

Advertisement