Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bad back, good car?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Anyone got any suggestions as to which cars is general might be better for a bad back. I'm currently driving an Impreza and it's not doing my back any favours so I'm thinking I might have to change. Anyone else out there with a troublesome back that has changed to a different car for the better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Usually something French to be honest. Or a bigger Mercedes. Volvo make some of the best seats also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Volvo would be great for your back, bit boring though maybe give an Audi A4 quattro a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

have a volvo s40 and have to say the seats are brillaint for my back, which i have a lot of trouble with, the heated seats and lumbar support are great for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

had a volvo s60 with full leather and heated seats...volvo will not be beaten for seat comfort...i often drove hrs and hrs on end with no problems and every car since has given me back problems...the volvo seats are like armchairs

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The only way to find out is to drive a few cars for a decent stretch and see. Whats good for one persons bad back scould be agony for others. The one car that no one suggests couldb the very car that keeps your particular bck in the exact position of comfort for you.

Ther only car I personally owned that catered for me in every situation was my Safrane because it had heated and inflatable seats. There were 4 sections in the seat (Lumbar, side of the seatback, side of he sea ase and under legs) that inflated or deflated with switches to the way I liked. Not sure whats available nowadays with a similar option that isnt wildly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Something French or Swedish. I find generally that German seats are some of the most uncomfortable around, too firm for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mone

Thanks for the replies guys.

Stekelly - I know what you are saying...what will suit one will not suit another, and I intend to try out a few, but I suppose if something keeps popping up, like the Volvo above, as been generally a good bet then I'll check it out.

I would love to stick with a Subaru so I'm wondering if anyone here with a bad back has driven a Legacy for an extended time & how did you get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Just a thought, but as most people seem to be recommending cars based on the best seat, could you not change the seats in your current car? Might be cheaper than changing your entire car.

Not sure how feasible this is though. Hey, might be a good business idea though, retro fitted custom made orthopedic car seats :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Out of all the cars I have owned I find my current S40 to have the most comfortable seats, like sitting in an arm chair. Leather, heated seats are a most on a Volvo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Saab 9-3 has incredibly comfortable seats if you're putting up the miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Saab 9-3 or Volvo are the nicest i've been in.

Also the E-Class mercedes .. but its a big premium to pay for nice seats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

OP - is the seats or the suspension in your Impreza that causing your back issues?
    If its the hard suspension then changing your car might be the way forward. If its the seats and the car otherwise suits your needs - you might be better (and cheaper) to look into upgrading your seat

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Viper_JB wrote: »
    maybe give an Audi A4 quattro a try.

Sporty Audis are great if you want a bad back, but I don't think that's what the OP meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Just sold my s60 with full leather heated seats and got an s80 with sueade leather. Full leather a little bit firm compared to the sueade but could be exactly what you want, either way there is a driving position to suite everyone. Try out both before you decide. I had sports suspension on the s60 with low 17s I have normal now on 16s. The comfort in the S80 is amazing and you dont feel a bump. The s60 although comfortable was hard suspension so might not be good for a bad back so I would imagine sports being out.

Repolho wrote: »
    Just a thought, but as most people seem to be recommending cars based on the best seat, could you not change the seats in your current car? Might be cheaper than changing your entire car.

Not sure how feasible this is though. Hey, might be a good business idea though, retro fitted custom made orthopedic car seats :D.

Hi Repolho - I am on my second seat in it at this stage....not sure if it is worth trying any more. One was slightly better than the other, but neither ideal.

Longshanks100 - It's a 1.6 Impreza, so the suspension is fairly soft on them. I think its more the seat/general driving position that is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

rover 75, saab 9-3 or 9-5 recommended seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You'll think I'm having a larf when I say this honestly, if you're looking for a practical car with a sitting position that is epically comfortable and sensible....

FIAT Doblo http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Doblo/ACTIVE-1/200934194983740/advert?channel=CARS

We have a couple of Doblo vans at work and you could drive to the moon and back with it's bolt upright sitting position.

cantdecide wrote: »
    You'll think I'm having a larf when I say this honestly, if you're looking for a practical car with a sitting position that is epically comfortable and sensible....

FIAT Doblo http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Doblo/ACTIVE-1/200934194983740/advert?channel=CARS

We have a couple of Doblo vans at work and you could drive to the moon and back with it's bolt upright sitting position.

Thanks for the suggestion....and I'm sure it is quiet comfy....but honestly I couldn't bring myself to driving that...not for a while at least

Advertisement