Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar Soldiers American Football Club

Options
  • 02-03-2010 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi All,

Just thought I'd let you all know of a new American Football team just formed in Mullingar. People of all height, age, shape, weight and size are welcome to come play for the team! We run both flag and contact teams, flag players can start from age 14, and contact players can begin training at 16. We play teams from all across the country, just last week we played in Clonmel against teams from Roscrea, Tralee and of course Clonmel, so you get to see a good bit of the country and meet a lot of new people.

If your interested, check us out at www.mullingarsoldiers.webs.com.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

is this a reincarnation of the Edenderry Soldiers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Website not working ?

working for me now...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 EoinC010

The Edenderry soldiers and Mullingar Archers merged to form the new Mullingar Soldiers... Ken Farrell still in charge, but most of the players are former Archers guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Thought you couldn't do contact until 18 now?

Yep, its 18, but we hope to have Youth football up again in the next year or two, and you can train at any age, 18 is just for playing. See theres a 2 year gap between flag and contact in the Soldiers, so we just want to keep people interested, and train them at half pace on basic contact, and hopefully have them ready for contact by 18. I think I've covered everything! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

EoinC010 wrote: »
    Yep, its 18, but we hope to have Youth football up again in the next year or two, and you can train at any age, 18 is just for playing. See theres a 2 year gap between flag and contact in the Soldiers, so we just want to keep people interested, and train them at half pace on basic contact, and hopefully have them ready for contact by 18. I think I've covered everything! :rolleyes:

Train in Pads at any age?

I hope this means non contact training. As I know Ken I am sure it is. But if you do mean "Any" age can hit for training purposes you are wrong dude. 18+ can only partake in contact against other adults. As for youth Kitted Im sure the standard was set at 16-17 but again its a grey area and Im not too sure what the Admirals and Soldiers did previous.

It is a big no no to have Adults to hit minors nowadays and minors are 17 down. And these are Irish Sports Council Guidlines.

Of course, I totally agree, but as you said the training is non-contact, and the youth kitted (which we hope will be back up soon) is 16-17s. We know the rules, and abide by them totally, we just want to keep people involved and prevent them from going astray from the sport.

Advertisement