Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog contraception?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have two 8 month old cocker spaniels, Millie and Dodge.
    I am worried that Millie might get pregnant as i feel she is still too young.
    I heard someone saying that there is an injection you can get the vet tog ive the vitch so that she wont get preggers, is this true?
    I want her to have pups at a later stage when she is 2 years +

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

get her "fixed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

No, i want her to have pups at a later date but not till she's fully grown and more to the point when i'm ready..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yes, there is an injection, it is basically an androgen (steroid) injection and there are many side-effects. I definitely wouldn't recommend it and neither would a lot of vets I'm afraid. It'd be preferable to separate her from Dodge while she is in heat, if you don't want to spay her just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Keep her away from males when she is in heat and do not let them have any opportunity to get to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

As others have said the injection apparently has a lot of side effects including mounting other dogs, aggression, change in voice, increase in oily skin and body odor, reproductive tract lesions, tearing, or urinary incontinence. May also cause liver disease or death especially in cats..

It is also only 90% effeective and shouldn't be given before the first cycle.

It's best to just keep them apart - many people that own both unneutered dogs and unspayed bitches manage to keep the dogs apart whilst the bitch is in heat.

If you find this very difficult to do perhaps you know someone who can take the dog for you whilst your bitch is in heat or maybe even kennel him for that time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The contraceptive injection is not recommended before a bitches first heat, and quite a few vets don't recommend it outright.

Keeping them apart while she is in heat will very difficult, dogs can get very aggressive and stressed when there is a bitch in heat around so really your best option is to find a good kennel or family/friend who will take him while she is in heat.

I'm really glad that you don't want to breed her on her first heat. Most bitches are still quite puppy like when they go into heat for the first time and it is very unfair and can be very stressful for them to get pregnant at such a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Firstly giving steroids (male hormones ) to a female is not recommended in people so I cant see it being any better in dogs secondly there was a product on one of the irish sites listed under “dog Hygiene” basically it is a sheet of material that covers the rear end , the male could hump away and get no where , this seems like a much better idea for when she is in heat , all you have to do is let them out to use the loo first;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Neuter the male perhaps, other than that seperation is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

My aunt uses contraception on her bitch. I don't know the exact details but she's never had any problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Personally know someone who has used the contraception method but her bitch has not come into season and she was regular as clockwork. She has missed three cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yep, I heard it can really mess things up that way.

Advertisement