Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone answer this query?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 1:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi,

I was a tenant in a flat owned by my father, paid full rent and all that. During my stay (about 2 years) I bought a 32in flat screen TV. I left it there while I went travelling. I am now back and need the TV for another flat I have found and will replace it with a 21in (similar to what was there originally)..

However the tenants in there are kicking up a fuss saying that's not fair bla, bla, bla. I explained the TV belongs to the previous tenant (me) and not the landlord.

Am I right in saying that TV's are not always a given to be part of basic furnishings (like beds, washing machines etc.) and in particular flat screens?

There is no contract signed between landlord and tenants.

I have to call them tomorrow. Do I politely tell them tough luck or what?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'd be inclined to politely tell them tough luck; many landlords wouldn't supply a TV lest they have to get a TV Licence in their own name, but that's up to each individual person I guess.
    Either way, you're taking a TV and leaving a TV; they still have the use of a TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to politely tell them tough luck; many landlords wouldn't supply a TV lest they have to get a TV Licence in their own name, but that's up to each individual person I guess.
    Either way, you're taking a TV and leaving a TV; they still have the use of a TV!

if i was the tenants and you were going to take the tv id ask the landlord for a replacement, if the tv was there when advertised and being rented i would expect it to stay there. i also woulnt be settling for a small 21 (prob CRT) as a
    suitable replacement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Well when the current tenants viewed the apt originally they would have seen the tv and presumed it was part of the deal. So they do have a bit of a beef if now a few months later its being replaced with a smaller one. I would probably be a little pissed off myself. But at least you are replacing it.

but i doubt there is anything in their contract entitling them to one: you should check the contract.
    regarding tv licenses: in my experience of renting the landlord usually provided a tv but the license was paid for by the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

but i doubt there is anything in their contract entitling them to one
    If you read the original post, there is nothing in writing.

I suspect there is nothing specific about beds either, but how would you as a tenant feel if your bed was taken away?

OP, you have no right to access the property if you don't live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Victor wrote: »

I suspect there is nothing specific about beds either, but how would you as a tenant feel if your bed was taken away?

missed that bit.. apologies

Sometimes a list of all items in the apartment will be provided so the tenant/ landlord can work out if anything is missing at the end of the lease.
    As this is not the case the landlord in theory could take something out without permission of the tenant.
    Don't think its fair to compare taking out a bed as opposed to a tv. A bed is a necessity, a tv not so much.

But I do think it is very discourteous and Scrooge-like at this point to come in and take the TV back, also as victor says if you are not the landlord you have no right to access the apartment, even if you are related to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

No, but his father does (with advanced notice). It is your TV, you are providing a replacement. Just dont be a tight arse and give them an antique TV, you can buy good TV's in Tescos for a few hundred. Maybe if you or your father approaches the tenants and explains the situation in a calm and friendly manner it will diffuse this row.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

I don't really think you are comparing like with like..

A bed, cooker, washing machine and 3 piece suite are a given. TVs are not.

As I said I am not leaving them without a TV, just replacing it with what was there before.
    It's just because there was nothing in writing, like an itemised list, so I didn't know what the story is..

Will probably just buy them a new TV to stop them moaning.

Where's the best place to buy a cheap TV these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

In all honesty, its a little unfair on the tenants. If you abandoned your TV there, they would be inclined to assume it was part of the fixtures and furnishings, I can understand them being miffed. Not a lot of landlords supply a tv so anybody seeing that the place has a 32" lcd would be rather impressed. Taking that away would be very disappointing. Its something that should have been explained to them previously.

Besides, 32 inches are no longer 1000 quid as they once were, you can get one for as little as 350 now. What you are doing (aside from tresspassing on their place) is not illegal, but its very likely to really upset your Dad's tenants and create bad feeling towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Himselfe

If I was a tenant in that flat I'd be gone as soon as the lease was up. Wouldn't want to live in a place where the landlord can come and take what he likes from the fixtures and furniture I was renting, legally or otherwise.

I would have assumed that the TV was part of the fixtures/furniture when I viewed the place. A nice TV would probably be a deciding factor for some people if they had to choose between 2 similar flats.

OP, maybe your father should buy you a new tv since he seems to have basically rented it out without your knowledge to his tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

If the TV was in the flat when it was advertised then it is considered to be part of the deal in the same way as other furniture. The tenants are quite right to object. It would be different if no tv was provided initially.

Also, the landlord is supposed to provide an inventory of contents with the lease so it should have been dealt with there.

• Advertisement

Basically I lived in the flat with a mate of mine. There was no lease as it was my father's place. I moved out and went travelling and my friend stayed on and wasn't pushed about getting a lease.

I didn't take the TV cos it was too much hassle transporting it so I left it with my friend. He then left and got a college mate + 1 to move in.

I forgot to tell my mate to tell the lads that the TV belonged to me personally and not the Landlord and I would be looking for it on my return. My bad I know!

Now I've moved in to a new place with no TV and wanted it back but they started bitching and moaning so I think I'm just gonna buy a new TV and leave that there instead of being disowned by my parents for losing them tenants.

Gotta keep tenants sweet these days as it's a buyer's market still when it comes to renting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Are you mad, its your tv, get the aul lad to get them something.

the tv is your property, you were renting,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Its not your fayult but your father should have explained to the tenant when they moved in the tv belonged to a previous tenant

yogy wrote: »

Now I've moved in to a new place with no TV and wanted it back but they started bitching and moaning so I think I'm just gonna buy a new TV and leave that there instead of being disowned by my parents for losing them tenants.

Just get your father to contribute to your new TV, after all it's partially his fault that the tenants assumed the TV was included in the rent!

Cheeers for all the replies/advice,

TBH the old man hasn't a clue what goes on there and leaves me to deal with things as he lives in Galway...

It is my fault I didn't specify the situation.

I'm just gonna go out and buy another TV (can get 32in LCD new for 350-400) and charge it to the old man.

In that way I've a new TV (more or less same as old but that's 4 years old now), the tenants will stop bitching and stay on and the mortgage will continue to still be paid.

Advertisement