Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Zine Looking for Submissions

Options
  • 02-03-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm starting up an Arts Zine called Minus 9 Squared, which will involve mainly writing (of any kind) and visual art (photography, animation, art, etc)

I'm looking for submissions for the first issue which I'm hoping will be finished for Easter.

The first issue is themed 'place/places' and can be taken as literally or as broadly as the submitter wishes.

For more information visit: www.minus9squared.wordpress.com

Or email: minus9squaredATgmailDOTcom

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Have you any guidelines regarding length of written submission or target audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ahayzer42

Hi pickarooney.

We haven't detailed any guidelines on the site and our target audience is everyone and anyone but mostly people with an interest in creative writing and photography (we're also looking for photographers and artists of any kind to help with the design of the zine). Ideally, we're looking to tap into the multitudes of people both in Ireland and abroad, either as submitters or as readers. We can't offer anything other than blogroll space affiliations at the moment but once the magazine is done, we can hope to offer good exposure through a number of channels which I'm already using to advertise for submissions.

I guess the easiest thing is to limit stories to the 3000 word mark, poetry to maybe 40 lines. All of these limits will be open to change though.. If we get something wonderful that's over any of these limits, we will reconsider, and we'll pay the same curtesy to all of our submitters.

Hope this answers any questions and feel free to contact me if you want more any information.

We do however now have a submission deadline and it is March 31st 2010.

Almost a whole month away so plenty of time to get those submissions in.

We look forward to hearing from you

Anna

We now have a Twitter account for anyone who feels inclined to keep an eye on us over there.

The URL is: http://twitter.com/minus9squared

Submissions piling in steadily so get those knuckles cracked and keyboards primed!

Remember to check the wordpress site for updates.

....We are now live on Facebook.

To keep up with the Zine's activities, join this group or subscribe to the blog for all future updates.

A Draft Front Cover is also on show on the page.

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=minnus+9+squared&init=quick#!/group.php?gid=342126916106&ref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 radford

Are you considering publishing novels.

At the moment I'm afraid we're not. We're capping word limits at 3000 words for prose and 40 lines for poetry.

If we were to consider publishing a novel, it would have to be in serial format. If the chapters ran less than 3000 words, we could consider running a chapter an issue though it may not be the type of publishing you're looking for?

Feel free to give me an email and tell me more about your novel. We may be able to arrange something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 radford

Thank you for your prompt reply. Could you display your email and where are you located?

Hey Radford,

The email is minus9squared@gmail.com

Everything at the moment is being run out of Wexford. It is still only a small operation in the teething stages.

Should anyone wish to take a gander at Issue One of Minus 9 Squared and the fantastic work within it, the link is listed below. Hope to see some new faces for Issue Two.

http://issuu.com/minus9squared/docs/issue_1_finished_and_ready_to_upload

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 rosemalin

Well done, ahayzer42. It looks great.
    So when is the next one due out and what will be the theme this time?
    All the best

Rosemalin,

Thanks for your kind words. The next issue will most likely be available online mid-May. The theme will be announced on www.minus9squared.wordpress.com tomorrow, Sunday.

Hey all,

Issue Two is now accepting submissions based around the theme of MEMORY. Your interpretation of said theme may be as loose or as strict as you wish.

Deadline: 30th April.

Hoping to see some of your names in the M9S Inbox.

Best

Anna

Hello All,

I regret that I have neglected this post for the last while. Things have been rather busy, to say the least.

Issue 3 is currently under construction, so to speak, and should be online soon.

However, we have a new venture in Minus 9 Squared now and it's over here: www.minus9online.wordpress.com

Minus 9 Online is a cousin blog where we will endeavor to post up as much work as possible, in poetry, prose and visual arts. The aim of the blog is showcase a constant stream of talent, and what we receive may be used in the magazine aswell.

What we really want to do is highlight our online presence and we feel using the blog in this way is the best way to do. We feel that it won't be long before we have a cornucopia of talent on display and will thus attract attention both for ourselves and for the talent contributors.

We're accepting work in consideration for the blog at all times and ask that work be sent to Anna at minus9squared@gmail.com

In the Title Bar please quote: M9S ONLINE

Regards

Anna

After an extended hiatus, Minus 9 Squared is back.

For said hiatus, we apologise and beg your pardon, there have been some personal issues to the forefront of our minds and our time was dedicated to them for some time and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.
    However, we are pleased to announce that the theme for Issue 4 of Minus 9 Squared (publication date TBA) is LIES.

We struggled with a number of choices for themes this issue. We contemplated a number of different themes but decided that they ran a little too close to the previous themes whilst this one is a bit more precise.

Submission Guidelines:

Fiction: 3000 maximum.

Flash Fiction: 500 words max.

Poetry: 40 lines max

Visual Arts: No larger than A4 size. JPG format. Maximum of 6 images per submission. We will NOT accept entire albums to choose our favourites from so choose wisely and send!

Theatre: Extracts of up to 3 pages OR 5 monologues
    In addition to your submission, please include a contributor’s profile of a few lines that we may use should we choose to publish your work. For examples refer to back issues.

As always, please send all submissions to Anna at minus9squared@gmail.com

EDIT: We are of course, always looking for front covers aswell and the following are the submission guidelines for it:

We are looking for images with the following criteria:
    1. A4 size.

2. Portrait format

3. The title of the magazine (Minus 9 Squared) the title ‘Lies’ and the subtitles ‘Issue 4 – September’ somewhere on the body of the cover.
    4. Something brilliant would be preferable.

We are accepting visual artistry of any kind, just as long as it’s visual and well, arty.

So get cracking folks – the front page needs you!
    Immortality awaits.

Closing Date: 31st August

Advertisement