Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get some of deposit back while still living in apartment?

Options
  • 01-03-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Here's the scenario:

Been leasing a city centre apartment with friends / flatmates for 3.5yrs now. In that time the total monthly rent has gone from 2100e < 2200e > 1600e, which is where it is currently. Our original deposit was 2100e, would we be entitled to seek a refund of 500e from this, bearing in mind our current rent?

One of us is moving out soon and as things currently stand, the new flatmate will have to pay a deposit of nearly 20% more than the actual monthly rent for their room.

It's not a huge big deal or anything but I'd be interested to know where we stand on this as much as anything. On another note, our letting agents are so incredibly incompetent that they don't even have us signed up to a lease at present (since November), despite out own efforts to actually get one sorted!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Giles wrote: »
    On another note, our letting agents are so incredibly incompetent that they don't even have us signed up to a lease at present (since November), despite out own efforts to actually get one sorted!
    Um, doesn't something called a "part 6" tendency not cover that? Others will come with more info, but I think it's mentioned in the stickies somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your landlord is unlikely to reduce the deposit, but the worst they can say is "no", so no harm asking.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Um, doesn't something called a "part 6" tendency not cover that? Others will come with more info, but I think it's mentioned in the stickies somewhere.
    Part 4 tenancy. It likely gives you better rights than a lease. There is no absolute need to have a formal lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Victor wrote: »
    Your landlord is unlikely to reduce the deposit, but the worst they can say is "no", so no harm asking.Part 4 tenancy. It likely gives you better rights than a lease. There is no absolute need to have a formal lease.

Landlords are demanding them though. I know mine insists on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Thanks for the replies, they don't really shed any more light on anything though unfortunately.

So my flatmate is due to move out in 7 weeks. The rent for her room is currently 455e and the deposit she paid for the room was 600e. Just thinking it might be hard for her to get the new tenant to pay 600e deposit for their room when the rent is so much lower by comparison..... which leads back to my original question!?

Any thoughts anybody?

I'll be getting onto the agents later this week if I can (they can be fairly hard pin down about stuff, in fact they're brutal in fairness, simply brutal) - if I was the landlord and I even had the slightest inkling of how they attempt to do business they would be gone baby gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

shoegirl wrote: »
    Landlords are demanding them though. I know mine insists on one.
    He can only insist once on one. After that its Part 4 time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement