Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Marriage Requirements

Options
  • 01-03-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

can you get married in a church if Ireland church if you've never made your communion or confirmation?

(i'm technically church of ireland btw)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

I've no idea the question your trying to ask, so please forgive me for that.

however I'm gonna try to get some sort of idea with the following questions and comments.

Do you mean the Catholic Church? or are you referring to the Church of Ireland as in the protestant denomination? if the latter is your response then they do not have confirmation nor communion.

If the former is your response, then you should contact your local Parish Priest and Bishop to see what the craic is with that, meanwhile consider the following link as something to mull over before you do.
    http://www.usccb.org/laity/marriage/marriagefaqs.shtml

God bless and take care
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Do you mean the Catholic Church? or are you referring to the Church of Ireland as in the protestant denomination? if the latter is your response then they do not have confirmation nor communion.

Yes they do.

Puck wrote: »
    Yes they do.

the protestant denomination do? which of them do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I'm going to assume you are church of Ireland looking to marry a catholic in a catholic church (that's what I took from your post) and yes, you can. I'm a non-believer and was married to my catholic wife in a full church ceremony.

Your wife will need to get permission from the bishop to marry you and you will need to get a priest who is willing to marry two people of different denominations\faiths but that shouldn't be too difficult if your wife is still practicing (and not impossible if she isn't)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

the protestant denomination do? which of them do?
    The Church of Ireland does. It has both communion and confirmation.

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    The Church of Ireland does. It has both communion and confirmation.

Are they Anglican PDN?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Are they Anglican PDN?

CoI is part of the world wide Anglican Communion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Sorry for vagueness

I'm CoI looking to marry someone of CoI denominations but i've no communion or confirmation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

CoI is part of the world wide Anglican Communion.

Don't like to out the cat among the pigeons
    Maybe what he meant they don't recoginse transubstantiation!:)

fir thiose not following this point look up consubstantiation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consubstantiation

This is the main doctrinal difference between the Anglican CoI and Irish Roman Catholic Church?

So what?

Well if the marriage has a Roman liturgy of the Eucharist ( a Mass or a "service" is you are Anglican) the priest is prevented from concelebration.

so you have a number of options (if in an Anglican church)

1. Anglican service with a roman priest and congregation in attendance but priest NOT saying the Mass.
    2. Roman mass in an Anglican church (the Anglicans might not agree to this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

There are quite a few differences between the Anglican Communion and the Roman Catholic Church depending on what type of Anglican church you go to. There are three types:
    1) Evangelical, 2) Broad-church, 3) Anglo-Catholic

1) More likely to hold to reformed theology, and as such depart the most from RC thinking.
    2) Closer in practice, but in belief there are still a number of differences. This is the most common in Ireland.
    3) Very minor differences. Many Anglo-Catholics use Rosary beads, and believe in the Immaculate Conception and Transubstantiation.

The 39 Articles of Religion depart quite a bit from traditional Roman Catholicism.

Craigsy: if you are baptised I reckon it is okay, get in touch with your local minister straight away. Good luck with everything :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Jakkass wrote: »
    There are quite a few differences between the Anglican Communion and the Roman Catholic Church depending on what type of Anglican church you go to. There are three types:
    1) Evangelical, 2) Broad-church, 3) Anglo-Catholic

Jackass, the CofI is anglo Catholic.
    3) Very minor differences. Many Anglo-Catholics use Rosary beads, and believe in the Immaculate Conception and Transubstantiation.
    Yes on the conception but no in the transubstantiation.

See article 28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

ISAW wrote: »
    Jackass, the CofI is anglo Catholic.

Yes on the conception but no in the transubstantiation.

See article 28

ISAW, I'm a current member of the CofI, I'm merely accounting for what practices I've noticed within the church.

Evangelical Anglicanism isn't the strongest here, but you do have it in pockets such as CORE, Immanuel Church Dublin (ICM), Crinken in the Dublin / Glendalough Diocese.

As for Anglo-Catholicism, no CofI member at least that I know believes in the Immaculate Conception, or Transubstantiation (It is a belief associated with Anglo-Catholicism). Nor have I heard of CofI ministers in many cases titling themselves Father. The 39 Articles are not held the most closely by all Anglican churches, or most Anglicans. They are no longer compulsory for ordination as far as I know. They are quite a Reformed document.

This is all common in Britain, the USA, Canada and other provinces in the Anglican Communion as a result of the Oxford Movement of Anglo-Catholicism in the 19th century.

Advertisement