Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Kuga V BMW X1

Options
  • 01-03-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi my dad is in the market for a new car,he has a 06 VW Passat 1.6 and he's interested in moving away from the saloon cars he's always owned. He likes the easier access of taller cars.

He's been to look at The Nissan Quahqai(too old) and Peugeot crossover thingy (doesn't like the styling) so it's a fight between the Ford and X1.

He says this will be the last car he will ever buy. I think the X1 will age better. Lots more old beemers still driving around compared with old Fords.

Any other alternatives around or on the horizon?

What do people think,Am i right in pushing him towards the X1 ahead of the Ford(yes i am biased as i have an old beemer)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

joeperry wrote: »
    Hi my dad is in the market for a new car,he has a 06 VW Passat 1.6 and he's interested in moving away from the saloon cars he's always owned. He likes the easier access of taller cars.

He's been to look at The Nissan Quahqai(too old) and Peugeot crossover thingy (doesn't like the styling) so it's a fight between the Ford and X1.

He says this will be the last car he will ever buy. I think the X1 will age better. Lots more old beemers still driving around compared with old Fords.

Any other alternatives around or on the horizon?

What do people think,Am i right in pushing him towards the X1 ahead of the Ford(yes i am biased as i have an old beemer)

Not a choice I'd be happy with I must admit but I saw an X1 for the first time the other day and thought it was pig ugly. The Kuga isn't great but I'd take that over the BMW all day long based on looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ford every time, it is less pointless than the BMW IMHO.

The reason why you see more old BMW's is because they have more of a following, how many Irish sites are there for a specific make?

You also have to consider that BMW's of the 90's were with a few exceptions quality cars engineered with great care and attention which were well capable of big mileage if you looked after them. There is also the fact that they made some extraordinary cars, the "E39" 5 series is one of the best cars ever made, its predecessor the E34 is another great car, a car from a day when the Germans really did make over engineered cars, the interiors are so well built they feel as though they felt that way when the car was brand spanking new, and I can see a lot of appeal in the previous 3 series Coupe (once it's not a poverty 318i or an unreliable 320d).

That was the 90's though, BMW have gone downhill ever since, not just the cars themselves but the quality is all gone. First they started making rubbish diesel engines and then about 3 years ago they decided that they might as well make rubbish petrol engines too, apparently the diesels are fine now but the current diesels are only around 3 years so it is a bit too early to say if they are better now(so far they seem to be admittedly).

The X1 is based on the 3 series which means there is a very high chance that the X1 will need a new ASC module(they fail on 3's far too often) in a few years time and these cost a fortune to repair, and that's before we get to swirl flaps(I know BMW says that they won't disintegrate and go into the engine but I'd still be getting any diesel BMW I own deflapped) and turbos(BMW says they won't blow anymore but since the current engine is only around for 2-3 years it is a bit early for them to be going even by BMW standards) and the good old Dual Mass Flywheel is going to be quite a bit dearer for a BMW as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I would go for the Kuga too. X1 is horrible!

Advertisement