Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

MPM Media Production Management reading list

• 01-03-2010 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

As the title says, I am wondering if anyone has the reading list for the media production management degree?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hi

As the title says, I am wondering if anyone has the reading list for the media production management degree?

thanks

Are you currently on the course ? If so its all up on moodle. Otherwise, was there a particular subject you wanted to know about ? Theres quite a large reading list (I have read none of it!) with a number of books recommended for each of the 8 subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davidwestfield

Thanks for the reply mate. No im not on the course its actually for my gf she is thinking about doing the course but has heard that is is quite intensive and there is a lot of reading involved so she wanted to get a glance at the reading list to see whats required!

she is mainly curious in the cultural studies course if anyone can post up some of the texts used

any help is greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Did the course hnd&mpm 03-06 and it's well worth doing. There is a lot of reading, but cultural studies is probably the most interesting part of it, so the reading in that respect is a breath of fresh air compared with human resources or project management. Consumer behaviour is also a very interesting part of the course.

would highly recommend, great lecturers and support services :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Thanks for the reply mate. No im not on the course its actually for my gf she is thinking about doing the course but has heard that is is quite intensive and there is a lot of reading involved so she wanted to get a glance at the reading list to see whats required!

she is mainly curious in the cultural studies course if anyone can post up some of the texts used

Cultural Studies is my favorite subject and the teacher (Sean) is great. Really knows his stuff. Keep in mind though that there are 8 subjects in total, so she would only be spending a small amount of time doing cultural studies (3 hours a week). Most of the other subjects are quite theoretical and tend to focus on the business side of things (Media Law, Strategic Management, Consumer Behavior etc), but I would definitely recommend the course. It is quite intensive, but Ive been getting v.good results so far, and have barely scratched the surface of the reading list for most subjects, so dont let that put her off.

Full subject list: Consumer Behavior, Cultural studies, Human Resource Management, International Media Marketing, Media and Entertainment Law, Project Management, Research Methods, Strategic Management. In addition, you also have to do a 10,000 word dissertation and a media project.

Reading list for Cultural Studies (Most of these are essays) :
    2009/2010 Reading List: Draft 22/2/10

Term 1:

MACDONALD, D., (2006). A Theory of Mass Culture. In: STOREY, J., Cultural Theory and Popular Culture: A Reader. 3rd ed. Prentice Hall: London. Resource Room/DCU.

LEAVIS, F.R., (2006). Mass Civilization and Minority Culture.In: STOREY, J., Cultural Theory and Popular Culture: A Reader. 3rd ed. Prentice Hall: London. Resource Room/DCU.

STOREY, J., (2006). Rockin’ Hegemony. In: STOREY, J., Cultural Theory and Popular Culture: A Reader. 3rd ed. Prentice Hall: London. Resource Room/DCU.

HOGGART, R., (2006). The Full Rich Life & The Newer Mass Art: Sex in Shiny Packets. In: STOREY, J., Cultural Theory and Popular Culture: A Reader. 3rd ed. Prentice Hall: London. Resource Room/DCU.

BENNETT, A., (2005). The Mass Culture Debate. In: Culture and Everyday Life. Sage: London. DCU.

Term 2:

HERMAN, E. & CHOMSKY, N., (2002). A Propaganda Model. In: Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media. New York: Pantheon Books. Resource Room/DCU

KLEIN, N., (2000). The Brand Expands. In: No Logo. Flamingo: London. Resource Room/DCU.

FINCHAM, B., (2007). ‘Generally speaking people are in it for the cycling and the beer’: Bicycle couriers, subculture and enjoyment. In: The Sociological Review. 55(2), pp.189-202. Moodle.

BENNETT, A., (1999). Subcultures or Neo-tribes? Rethinking the Relationship Between Youth, Style =and Musical Taste. In: Sociology. 33(3), pp.599-617. Moodle.

Supplementary Reading:

BOTTOMORE, T., (1984). The Frankfurt School. London: Tavistock Publications Ltd. Pp 38-48. DCU.

Term 3:

HALL, S., and WHANNEL, P., (2006). The Young Audience.In: STOREY, J., Cultural Theory and Popular Culture: A Reader. 3rd ed. Prentice Hall: London. DCU/Resource Room.

O’ CONNOR, B., 1997. Safe Sets: Women, Dance and Communitas. In: THOMAS, H., ed. Dance in the City. MacMillan Press: London. DCU: Accessible from Doras (under e-resources); also Moodle

O CONNOR, B., 2005. Sexing the Nation: Discourses of the Dancing Body in Ireland in the 1930s. Journal of Gender Studies 14 (2), pp. 89-105. DCU database/Moodle.

BYRNE, H., 1997. Going to the Pictures: the female Audience and the Pleasures of Cinema. In: KELLY, M.J. and O’ CONNOR, B., 1997, eds. Media Audiences in Ireland: Power and Cultural Identity. Dublin: University College Dublin Press. DCU.

Term 4:

ANG, I., 2006. Dallas and the Ideology of Mass Culture. In: STOREY, J., Cultural Theory and Popular Culture: A Reader. 3rd ed. Prentice Hall: London. Resource Room/DCU.

BAKHTIN, M., (1998). Carnival and the Carnivalesque In: STOREY, J., Cultural Theory and Popular Culture: A Reader. 2nd ed. Prentice Hall: London. DCU

GRAEBER, D., 2002. The New Anarchists. New Left Review, 13, pp.61-73. Moodle.

THORNTON, S., 2004. The Social Logic of Subcultural Capital. In: A Subcultures Reader. GELDER, K., ed. London and New York: Routledge. DCU/Resource Room.

STALLYBRASS, P. & WHITE, A., (2002). Carnival and Bourgeois Hysteria. In: DUNCOMBE, S., Cultural Resistance Reader. Verso: London. DCU

YOUNG, J., 2004. The Subterranean World of Play. In: A Subcultures Reader. GELDER, K., ed. London and New York: Routledge. DCU/Resource Room.

Term 5: Not up yet

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

The main book that we use is Cultural Studies is Any Bennetts - Culture & Everyday Life.
    http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Everyday-Life-Andy-Bennett/dp/0761963901
    It's also available in Hodges Figgis in Dublin. We don't use it much in class but we're supposed to be reading it in our own time! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 laterally

Hi all,
    Sorry for bumping an old thread but I just have a few questions about the MPM course. Firstly I was wondering if any past students on here might still have their books and would be willing to sell them on if they are not needed anymore?
    Also if any of you how many of these books should be purchased as opposed to checking them out of the library, as there seems to be quite a lot and to buy them all would be very expensive.
    Also, does the library have more than one copy of each book? I could imagine 60-80 angry students fighting it out over the same book :O
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated, I start next week and have left it a tad late to start buying and preparing :O

Cheers

Advertisement