Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an electric radiator

Options
  • 01-03-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am converting a small holiday home and want to replace the radiators to electric. I know how to and have made some electric towels rads previously but was wondering if it is the same idea for conventional radiators. I can source a 2kw electric element with a thermostat. It is approx 650mm long. Is it just a case of sourcing some cheap radiators and fitting. Someone told me that even if a radiator is 700mm long it does not mean that the element will fit as that it is baffled inside to help water flow?Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

If seen electric towel rads with immersion, never seen a standard rad with an immersion. I don't think its possible to convert a standard rad into an electric by using an immersion, I'm sure their would be a few in the market if so.

Inside rad is tight on space, the only way I can see an immersion working is dropping it in from the top, you'd have to find a rad over 650mm tall, standard rad is only 500 tall. Rads are to slim to thread for towel rad type immersion so you'd have to weld on some kind of 1/2" adapter at top.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Also what would you plan on filling it with? Air's a very poor conductor of heat, and you'd have to keep water or oil topped up.

I'd say buy a pre-packaged wall-mount oil-filled electric heater. They used to be very common and I think they're still on sale. They look like a normal radiator with a small box at one end.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

it's not possible with your run of the mill rad. They is no way to fit any type of element in it.

Advertisement