Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play biting Q?.

Options
  • 01-03-2010 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone's encountered this one.

My youngest dog, Ruby has just begun play biting - but she's 18 months old!.

She's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, so for those in the know you'd appreciate how playful they are naturally, everything is full on and sometimes they don't mature like other dogs for a few years!.

But her attitude to things has been changing recently, nothing bad, just like she's grown a little and realizes she's a big strong dog.

Like during play she'll try dominate me by swiping out with her paw's, trying to push me down or hold me to a certain spot - so I'm guessing this is all part of discovering where her new boundaries are?.

She's in no way aggressive, but I don't want her getting thoughts above her station either - just in case!.

So has anyone encountered the same issue's in an older (than puppy stage) dog?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Play biting/mouthing etc. are all usually puppy traits so I would deal with this like I would a pup who was doing the same thing. When she bites you, let a high pitched noise (like you are in pain) and stop play for a bit. As young pups, dogs learn to not bite hard on their litter mates because they let them know when it hurts and won't play with them. Once she learns that if she bites the play stops she should be more gentle.

I would also use the "stop play" method with any behaviours she does during play that you don't want her to do, for example if she is just too rough. If she does something that you are not happy with either let a yelp or say a firm "no" and stop play for a bit. Once she calms down and isn't looking to play anymore you can play all you want! She needs to learn that certain behaviours are ok and others are not and being ignored for a bit will get the message home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

I do pretty much what Lorebringer said. Just turn away and give her the silent treatment until she stops or calms down.
    Staffords develop like no other dog I've had. I swear most of them keep growing until they're about 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Just wondering if anyone's encountered this one.

My youngest dog, Ruby has just begun play biting - but she's 18 months old!.

She's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, so for those in the know you'd appreciate how playful they are naturally, everything is full on and sometimes they don't mature like other dogs for a few years!.

But her attitude to things has been changing recently, nothing bad, just like she's grown a little and realizes she's a big strong dog.

Like during play she'll try dominate me by swiping out with her paw's, trying to push me down or hold me to a certain spot - so I'm guessing this is all part of discovering where her new boundaries are?.

She's in no way aggressive, but I don't want her getting thoughts above her station either - just in case!.

So has anyone encountered the same issue's in an older (than puppy stage) dog?.

What you describe sounds like typical rough Staffie play to me and has little to do with mouthing. The dog is re-enacting a hunting scenario genetically imprinted in alot of the breed. It has nothing to do with testing boundaries and/or trying to establish a new rank. Do you play alot of tug-of-war with her? If so then I would stop immediately. Tug-of-war with a young Staffie can lead to alot of unwanted behaviour as it simply does not understand why is is ok to rough house with you on the tug toy/rope etc but not when it comes to your arms, sleeves etc. Staffies are very physical in play, they often use their whole body like a wrestler.

I have a snap word for all my dogs which is "Leave". If I say it then the dog will stop what it does and stand to "attention" - it is important that you train her to a word as a safeguard. I use it to make them drop food they find, releasing of toys from their mouths etc. That goes from my APBT's to the Lurchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

EGAR wrote: »
    What you describe sounds like typical rough Staffie play to me and has little to do with mouthing. The dog is re-enacting a hunting scenario genetically imprinted in alot of the breed. It has nothing to do with testing boundaries and/or trying to establish a new rank. Do you play alot of tug-of-war with her? If so then I would stop immediately. Tug-of-war with a young Staffie can lead to alot of unwanted behaviour as it simply does not understand why is is ok to rough house with you on the tug toy/rope etc but not when it comes to your arms, sleeves etc. Staffies are very physical in play, they often use their whole body like a wrestler.

I have a snap word for all my dogs which is "Leave". If I say it then the dog will stop what it does and stand to "attention" - it is important that you train her to a word as a safeguard. I use it to make them drop food they find, releasing of toys from their mouths etc. That goes from my APBT's to the Lurchers.

A lot of that rings true for Ruby, and if you don't mind I'd like to PM you with a little more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

That's fine, I am glad to help a Bull Breed owner if I can :):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kev M wrote: »
    I do pretty much what Lorebringer said. Just turn away and give her the silent treatment until she stops or calms down.
    Staffords develop like no other dog I've had. I swear most of them keep growing until they're about 5.
    This works for me too. My Staffy is between 2 and 3 (we're not sure) and does exactly the same things describes in the OP - using her front legs to pin down your arm, or when she's on her back she'll swipe with both her front paws and if she can, she'll grab your arm with both paws and pull it down to her mouth.

When she is play biting I tend to only let it go on until she starts getting excited, and then I stop it and ignore her for a few minutes. She calms down, but I guess I shouldn't let her bite at all? I only stop it because I'm worried that she'll think it's OK to play bite with other people and all it takes is one hysterical moron and I'll be in trouble. We had a JRT as a kid who we let practically chew on our hands while playing.

I wasn't aware of the tug-of-war thing, but it does make sense in terms of what behaviour I'm seeing. I actually tend to wrestle her more than anything, which involves little or no biting. Any particular types of playing you'd recommend for a staffie?

seamus wrote: »
    This works for me too. My Staffy is between 2 and 3 (we're not sure) and does exactly the same things describes in the OP - using her front legs to pin down your arm, or when she's on her back she'll swipe with both her front paws and if she can, she'll grab your arm with both paws and pull it down to her mouth.

When she is play biting I tend to only let it go on until she starts getting excited, and then I stop it and ignore her for a few minutes. She calms down, but I guess I shouldn't let her bite at all? I only stop it because I'm worried that she'll think it's OK to play bite with other people and all it takes is one hysterical moron and I'll be in trouble. We had a JRT as a kid who we let practically chew on our hands while playing.

I wasn't aware of the tug-of-war thing, but it does make sense in terms of what behaviour I'm seeing. I actually tend to wrestle her more than anything, which involves little or no biting. Any particular types of playing you'd recommend for a staffie?

That almost mirror's a lot of Ruby's behaviour, she absolutely loves to play and wrestle & like you and I said - lately she's been using her paw's to try dominate me to hold me down (and I'm 120kgs!).

Do staffies every grow up :P

Brilliant dogs, 0-100mph in 2 seconds & that huge staffie smile!.. There's a photo of her in my sig @ only six months old, its almost impossible to take a photo of her now because she hates the camera and run's away!.

Btw, I'd have never put you down as a staffie owner!.

its almost impossible to take a photo of her now because she hates the camera and run's away!.
    Ha, same here. She'll look at the camera until a split second before you click the button, then she'll look away and ruin the shot!
    Btw, I'd have never put you down as a staffie owner!.
    I wasn't even really aware of the breed until about 4 months ago the wife was made aware of a three-legged bitch being surrendered to a shelter and we fell in love as soon as we met her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Surely if she's getting too rough, stop the play? Play wrestling is the best, but the dog always has to know her boundaries.

And when you say play bite, where?

My dog once got too rough during play, she broke the skin, we instantly gave out to her and muzzled her for a few minutes so she learned not to bite like that. She only did timid little play bites then.

I wasn't even really aware of the breed until about 4 months ago the wife was made aware of a three-legged bitch being surrendered to a shelter and we fell in love as soon as we met her.

Yup, they have that effect on people :D

Any photos of your girl at all?.

• Advertisement

She's very dark, so my phone's camera doesn't do her justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

She's such a cutie!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Awwwwwwwwwwww. I want to cuddle her :o

Yes, she loves cuddles. If you slouch down into the seat, she climbs onto your chest, lies down and stares you in the face, one paw on each shoulder. :D

And someone was surrendering her to a shelter?.

She's a little cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Harley does the same thing (not a pb staff) - there is play wrestling where he throws himself at you, headbuts, shoulders etc we allow a certain amount of mouthing with that as I think it's an important part of learning bite inhibition (that may be misguided but we're happy enough to allow it). Then there is his frenzy play, this usually happens when we come in from being out or when certain guests visit. That is a type of play I can only describe as obnoxious :o in your face, pawing, play biting more than we allow, running around with his bed in his mouth, jumping up etc. It's just excitment, but like you said, a large dog you just cannot allow it.

We stop play immediately if he gets ott and make him sit, when he calms down, we start play again. If he's not calming down we will put him in his crate and give him a few mins to observe everything and get used to the energy in the room.

Makikomi, I find that I have to have 100% control at all times. I need to be able to read his play and stop him getting too excited. Of course it doesn't work all the time but we're getting better.

Egar - can I ask please, we play tug with harley but have very strict rules surrounding it. There is only a certain section he is allowed have in his mouth, the other part is our handle. At certain times during the game he will be told to drop and he will do it immediately (or the game stops). I think this stops him getting to a frenzy pulling stage. Then we finish the game by making him drop it and we put it away. Do you think doing it like this is ok or would you recommend leaving it altogether?

He's pretty gentle with it. When he is playing with Kieran he really puts his back into it, with me he's more vocal but does not pull as hard or shake his head (I HATE that!). He plays with my sister with it as well but she sits in the hall and has him pull her up and down. I feel a bit bad now allowing that if it's a bad idea. What do you think?

(sorry for hijakking your thread Makikomi)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

I have a little terrier (not a staff) and she plays almost exactly how everyone has described there staffs, she headbutts, paws, mouths ect, but with a click of my fingers she stops play immediatley, thats just my stop command!I think there is nothing better with a little wrestle with your dog once your in control and can stop it when you want!

Advertisement