Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRMC 'Beat The Devil's Tattoo'

Options
  • 01-03-2010 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Great to have this band back, heard some tracks and it's a stormer! Any fans here??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

zimovain wrote: »
    Great to have this band back, hear some tracks and it's a stormer! Any fans here??

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I love this band.
    I got the album last night and gave it a quick listen before a full, proper one today. It's a good album. Hope they do another Irish tour, it was great to see them in a smaller venue and not have to make the trek to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

Looking forward to it big time.
    Bonus CD has two extra songs.
    Will make my purchase this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

yea great band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

It's a real druggy, hypnotic album to these ears. Love them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Iggy

Love them

Single was great, can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

those bass solos are blistering....

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Downloaded the album a couple of weeks ago (have since bought it legally,ahem) and think it is fantastic. You don't get albums like this anymore. It's a crying shame that they are so underrated although part of me enjoys the fact that they are still a hidden gem of sorts. I still feel disgusted that they supported the killers a while back AND played the trinity ball. BRMC at the trinity ****ing ball for heavens sake. They don't deserve that kind of music.

I wasn't too sure what to expect from the album after Baby 81 but it's a really nice blend of the four previous albums. I love how it thunders through some heavy rock then slows into a blues type song and then to the more gentle acoustic song, just perfect. Been listening to it non-stop since I got hold of it. You should get the live album as well, some nice performances. 'Dirty Old Town' at the Ambassador is a person highlight.

I'm not sure why they havn't planned a live date yet, they clearly love coming here based on previous tours. I suspect it's a clash with dates and it's only a matter of time before it's announced. They'll probably conclude the tour here, some time around late May or early June and then play Oxegen. Either way, I can't wait to see them again.

Also, Leah Shapiro, great little drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Goat_Boy_jones

Really poor I think bar 1 or 2 songs...

Was really looking forward it...

Could be a grower but it's doing nothing for me at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Thought their self titled and Take Them on on Your Own were solid albums but other than that theyre nothing special. I havent heard their new one yet but I'd imagine it to be the same old thing again

Theyve got a decent sound but theyre very limited in what they do. Nothing on the Brian Jonestown Massacre:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Harps wrote: »
    Theyve got a decent sound but theyre very limited in what they do. Nothing on the Brian Jonestown Massacre:pac:
    Don't forget, BJM are playing the Academy on the 20th of May. I have my tickets sitting here in front of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Thought their self titled and Take Them on on Your Own were solid albums but other than that theyre nothing special. I havent heard their new one yet but I'd imagine it to be the same old thing again

I actually regard the second album as their weakest but each to their own. However, maybe you should actually listen to the album instead of dismissing it as 'the same old thing again' which is itself a stupid comment seeing as their last two albums have been completely different. One, a completely acoustic album with a gospel theme and the other a blend of piano driven, garage rock/acoustic songs. I think this album is a healthy mixture.

I also don't think they're limited at all in what they do. They do what they do and do it well. Very few bands could create a third album like 'Howl' they way did. Is that not showing that they have very few limitations? What do you expect them to do? How did you want them to progress after 'Take Them On' which seeing as you said you enjoyed that album means your opinion of them changed when they changed their sound for the third album.

I also like BJM and am going to the gig but the comparison is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. Why did you use them as an example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A bit harsh looking back at my post yes, admittedly I havent listened to Howl much as I didnt particularly find it interesting but yes it is different. Baby 81 is largely back to their old sound but what I meant by limited was in terms of what they do well, it tends to be that garage/metal sort of sound. Each to their own of course and I appreciate thats theyve at least tried some new sounds

As for the BJM, no reason really and it wasnt exactly a serious comment. Just happened to be listening to them when I typed that and with the Peter Hayes connection I thought Id throw it in

what I meant by limited was in terms of what they do well, it tends to be that garage/metal sort of sound. Each to their own of course and I appreciate thats theyve at least tried some new sounds

They are no way limited to just a garage/metal. I wouldn't even describe any of their music as metal. But to say that the acoustic/folk/blues side of their sound is just something they tried is offensive. A lot of people define them by that sound and they do it perfectly.

They are definitely not a one trick pony band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

'Howl' for me is their best album.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i question why it sounds a bit more... country orientated :confused:

i question why it sounds a bit more... country orientated :confused:

Howl?

It was their plan from day one to record 2 rock albums and then a stripped down acoustic/country/folk album for the 3rd. Coincidentally Nick Jago was out of the band at this point and the press say that it was his fault they stripped it back but that is BS. It was reported early on when they were a buzz band and when I met them during their first headline visit to Ireland Pete told me and a friend (who told him how much he loved the live b-side of Shuffle Your Feet & asked when would they record it officially).

Advertisement