Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a chain harrow what I need???

Options
  • 01-03-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

I keep a few horses and was told that I should break up the dung every so often. Is a chain harrow the right thing for me or would a land leveller do the trick?

How many times a year do I need to go around the field?

And if a chain harrow is what I need, I presume somewhere like donedeal will be the best place to look for one??? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

ADDON wrote: »
    I keep a few horses and was told that I should break up the dung every so often. Is a chain harrow the right thing for me or would a land leveller do the trick?

How many times a year do I need to go around the field?

And if a chain harrow is what I need, I presume somewhere like donedeal will be the best place to look for one??? :confused:

Chain harrow would be fine. In the old days before farming by form filling, we used to cut a whitethorn bush, and pull it around behing a MF35! Great job to spread the dung pads around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

BeeDI wrote: »
    Chain harrow would be fine. In the old days before farming by form filling, we used to cut a whitethorn bush, and pull it around behing a MF35! Great job to spread the dung pads around!

We used to do this when reseeding. Cut a few bushes, tie em around a stick so you have a bit of width and away you go. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

feed your horses some whole oats, the crows will do the rest;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Have you done a worm count in the field? (will be a problem when not so cold) Do you worm them

Ireland is damp so harrowing dung can spread worms through out the field. If you have another species grazing like sheep than it can help to reduce the worm burden as the worms tend to be species specific.

Harrowing dung tends to work better in hot dry countries. If you don't have a huge herd you could poo pick the fields. How many acres are they on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭kildareman09

we usually chain harrow the ground in spring time when ground isnt gone to hard ya only really use chain harrow to fill bak in the hoof prints from winter nd when ya have it chain harowed go over it with a roller and get nice even surface then for when ground dries out just make sure chain harrow is at right level otherwise ya will rip up the ground

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

Ok.... so I've established that a chain harrow is what I need!

It's easier said than done, though! I've tried donedeal and buyandsell..... either none available or crazy money (eg €1000). Also , any that are aailable seem to be the new type (on a frame) and I don't need anything too fancy or too expensive.

What I need is the type of thing which must be abandoned in the corner of hundreds of fields and farmyards around the country, like the one in the picture..... very low tech.

chain-harrow.jpg

Any of you guys (or gals) know where I can pick one up for small money?

Don't mind if its in rag order as I can get it fixed up....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

What part of the country are you in?

I'm in County Longford..... :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

I'm in County Longford..... :)

Did you try johnstons or mchughs?

Who??
    Where??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Jonstons farm machinery....Or D&E Mchughs..Whereabouts in longford are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morning delight

Ok.... so I've established that a chain harrow is what I need!

Any of you guys (or gals) know where I can pick one up for small money?

Don't mind if its in rag order as I can get it fixed up....

Hey Addon

How did you get on sourcing a chain harrow? Did you get one like in the picture? How much and where?!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭agrostar

Has anyone on here ever used a chain harrow for reseeding. I think all your supposed to do is scratch up the ground with the chain harrow, spread the seed then roll in. Have heard people talking about doing it this way but never seen it been done could be a handy other use for the chain harrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morning delight

agrostar wrote: »
    Has anyone on here ever used a chain harrow for reseeding. I think all your supposed to do is scratch up the ground with the chain harrow, spread the seed then roll in. Have heard people talking about doing it this way but never seen it been done could be a handy other use for the chain harrow.

Take a look at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055310385

Hey Addon

How did you get on sourcing a chain harrow? Did you get one like in the picture? How much and where?!

No, Morning Delight... I never managed to get a chain harrow. Have had to do without :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Horace

A neighbour made up a chain harrow / land leveler using seven car rims chained together he used about a foot of chain and a D clamp to tie the rims together the three rims in the front were chained to a length of 3" angle iron about 7 or 8 feet long again using D clamps when he wanted to move it from field to field he just opened the D clamps and moved it around in a transport box , he had only a massey 135 but im sure more or less rims could be used if you have a bigger or even a garden tractor.

Horace wrote: »
    A neighbour made up a chain harrow / land leveler using seven car rims chained together he used about a foot of chain and a D clamp to tie the rims together the three rims in the front were chained to a length of 3" angle iron about 7 or 8 feet long again using D clamps when he wanted to move it from field to field he just opened the D clamps and moved it around in a transport box , he had only a massey 135 but im sure more or less rims could be used if you have a bigger or even a garden tractor.

I would love to see a photo of that :eek:

Advertisement