Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running from Malin Head to Mizen Head

Options
  • 01-03-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm hoping to pick some brains in the regional fora. I'm going to try and run from Malin Head to Mizen Head later in the year over the course of a week or so. Google throws us rather vague descriptions for potential routes ranging form 360 - 400 miles. It might not seem like much of a difference but when you're running, it's an extra marathon and a half on a 14 marathon run.

The general concensus seems to be to go
    Malin Head - Derry - Enniskillen- Longford - Athlone - Nenagh - Limerick - Mallow - Macroom - Schull - Mizen head
    so I'm hoping if I post this in the revelant regional fora following this route, people might be able to advise me on the shortest road routes between the various points.

I'd also welcome any advice about food en route (restaurants that will do takeaway late, B&B's, early breakfast spots), roads to avoid, potential detours (e.g. where adding an extra mile might cut out a mountain) and really any local advise people might have.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

I came Derry Enniskillen Longford Athlone last year on a motorbike and some of these roads are terrible. Narrow and staright the traffic tore along in rain at terrible speed. Not a nice place for a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Hiya
    I drove a support vehicle for a cycled Malin - Mizen in 2003.
    The route we took was Malin - Letterkenny-Sligo-Galway-Mallow-Mizen.
    Galway to Mallow was 104 miles, Mallow to Mizen was 105. Sounds like a lot of running in a week. The roads were fairly good down the western seaboard though.
    We did about 50 miles day 1, 65 day 2, 70 something day 3, Galway to Mallow day 4, and Mallow to Mizen day 5.
    Its about 400 miles. How many miles can you run in a day comfortably?
    It'd take me about a month I'd say :D Thats just me though.
    If you did 2 marathons a day for 8 days you'd be there. 2 marathons a day sounds fairly harsh goin to me though.:confused:

A Country Voice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement