Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moguls

Options
  • 01-03-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Just want to know how to ride moguls on a snowboard?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

With great difficulty probably. Not sure I've ever seen someone intentionally go down a mogul run on a board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

with very quick turns or turn on every 2nd one?

Or do what I do and plough straight over the top to smooth them out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Smutty007

Tried that ended up launching myself into the air to great amusement of passing kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Stay away from them.. I hate moguls on my board..

Leave it for the fruit booters*

*i mean fruit booters in the nicest possible way!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

just do ollies over them! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

Best way to go over moguls with a board, is on a chairlift!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Leave the Moguls to the skiers please

• Registered Users Posts: 46 happo

I had a lesson where the guy showed us how to ride moguls on a snowboard. Basically as ShayK1 one said it involves lots of sharp turns from your toe to your heel side through the moguls rather than over them. Also the board is never meant to leave the ground. However when I tired it, I cut long diagonal lines until I came to tame section of moguls and then did the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Dont bother its no fun!! I got stuck on a black run today , didnt realise it had moguls at the start of the run, couldnt see because of bad visibility, moguls and a 70 degree slope = one very scared snowboarder, rest of the slope was great though, Black No. 14 in Saalbach if anybody is heading there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Just back from Bansko today. I ended up flying in the air quite a few times. The really thick fog didnt help either:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Just back from a trip with a load of skiiers who loved bringing me on hidden runs that had a ton of moguls waiting for me at the end. I used to try the quick turn approach and it works pretty well for smallish moguls where your board doesn't have to make really really tight turns but these were monster 4 footers so I found the best way was to keep your speed low and jump turn. Pretty tiring but much less chance of a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Boarding moguls will make you alot better at snowboarding , ya learn to pick your turns a few in advance and faster better turns , when ya need to turn just use the mogul side to turn

Going over them is suicide if they are big cause ya just take off and normally they are fairly close together

If ya start riding forests and back country this will stand to ya where moguls are replaced with trees and rocks !

I told some of my family that moguls were made by a creature called the mogul , kinda like a beaver , they spent the whole trip trying to see one !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

They're just pointless on a snowboard really. They're fine when your technique is good but if you find it fun maybe switch to skiing. With good technique on a snowboard, there's much better fun to be had all over the mountain, IMO.

Its just sharp turns, so be heavy on the front foot, and the back will swing right around. But you need a deep sidecut radius, and a penchant for pointless runs to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

After a few near-misses this season, I've been thinking about getting a "Fuck moguls" t-shirt printed.

Advertisement