Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rubbing noise on full wheel lock

Options
  • 01-03-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Hey just noticed a kind of rubbing noise this morning when I had my wheels on full lock.

Never heard it before so jumped into the old car to see if that done it too but nope. Anyone know what it might be? Was coming from the front obviously. BMW by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

get your discs and pads checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Could also be aftermarket alloys and tyres that are too wide and/or large in diameter or even BMW wheels off another model not designed to go under your particular model. As a general rule it is recommended that you should not go any larger than two inches extra than the original wheels when fitting aftermarket rims but I see this rule being broken all the time. If the car is lowered you might be looking at problems too, even with the original wheels. It could also be the case that the offset on aftermarket rims is not correct for your car also but wouldn't know too much about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Hey just noticed a kind of rubbing noise this morning when I had my wheels on full lock.

Never heard it before so jumped into the old car to see if that done it too but nope. Anyone know what it might be? Was coming from the front obviously. BMW by the way.

Check your wheel arch liners. They may have popped a fastner or two and are rubbing on full lock. I have seen this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have you checked the wheel arches for evidence of rubbing? Maybe get someone to check if wheels are making contact with the arches? Does it look like the car is sitting low on one side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

What kind of mileage is on it? Could there be a bushing gone which is allowing the wheel to move more than it should?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

steve06 wrote: »
    get your discs and pads checked.

Both were done a few months back.
    Could also be aftermarket alloys and tyres that are too wide and/or large in diameter or even BMW wheels off another model not designed to go under your particular model.

It does have 18" msport allows on it. So guess that's a possibility.
    barry81 wrote: »
    What kind of mileage is on it? Could there be a bushing gone which is allowing the wheel to move more than it should?

78k.

Ok so I'll check the liner, bushing and the wheels themselves. Cheers for help guys. I'll let you know what I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Both were done a few months back.

Have they been bedded in yet?

*noob hat on*

How do I check/know if they have :o

Appears to have been the liner. It was loose at the bottom, tightened it back in and all is quiet again.

Mucho gracios for the help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Good stuff Mad_Max. Was only a minor problem after all. Always good to hear back from folk after they get a problem resolved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement