Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever write an letter to get out of a fine etc and succeed?

Options
  • 01-03-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

I got a tram fine and wrote a big letter?

Hope I win

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

You won't if Brendan Smith is your real name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

yeah sure. It starts off with your name. Then you right down a certain number. Write who its going to and sign the bottom of it. I think you need to draw a line on the back of it to make it work. Heard loads of people who do that and it works for them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

I have it on realiable information theres many a tram inspector lurking around here!

Wrote a letter to get out of a clamp fine once, worked a treat! worth a shot..
    However I know a fair few people who did it after getting a tram fine... not so much luck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Just put a bullet into the envelope with the letter.
    At the end of the letter put

P.S. If you don't cancel this fine the next bullet you receive will be travelling alot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I won when I argued back in an e-mail after receiving a fine for not dumping my rubbish in the allocated bins in the apartment complex I was in at the time.
    The fine letter had a picture showing my name on a bill, found after they sifted through how many rubbish bags to find one with a name. I wrote back with photo evidence showing how the other residents dumped all the rubbish on the ground before the bins were full, making it impossible to get to a bin to put our own bags in properly. All I could do was throw the bag as far as I could into the pile.
    Never heard anything back after that so I presume I won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When you're trying to weasel your way out of a fine always write your letter in pencil or crayon, it makes you seem more pathetic.

This makes them feel bad for taking money off you as they start to suspect that maybe you're slightly socially maladjusted. A few crayolas short of the full box perhaps. A few melons short of a fruit salad. A few crankshafts short of the full engine. etc. etc.

And as we all know, weasling your way out of things is important to learn, it's what seperates us from the animals - except for the weasel.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My girlfriend did once, for parking in a bus stop (d'oh!). She basically said she was too poower to afford it and they knocked 90% off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not so easy to get away with it now with most fines going through the pulse system particularly RTA.

I got out of a public order offense a few ears ago when I gave the fingers to two cop unintentionally when stuck in traffic. They wouldn't let me out of an awkward parking spot and then beeped their horn aggressively at me. They said that "I would hear about this", I wrote an apology to them and never heard about it again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Got an invitation to appear in court, tv license related, a few years ago.
    Wrote a letter and received a letter back that the decision was made not to bring evidence towards me.

Apparently i am also quite capable of talking myself out of traffic related fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

I wrote to my local TD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I gave Treavor Sargent a shout. Failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭irishhigh

I got a tram fine and wrote a big letter?

Hope I win
    Yeah, when I was 18 I only paid the bus driver the fare for a few stops when really I was going into town. The inspector came on and saw my ticket and that we where now nearly in the city centre so I got fined. I wrote to them saying It was my first year in college in Dublin and I didn't understand the fares (My ares I didn't!) and got away with it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I got a speeding fine from Spain a few weeks ago, well at least I think it was a speeding fine.

Either that, or I won €120 for driving so well.

Dunno what to do with it as there was 4 people insured to drive it at the time, but the car was hired in my name so the fine went to me. Might write a big letter explaining all this in Irish and see where we go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Sully wrote: »
    I gave Treavor Sargent a shout. Failed.
    BOOYAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was fined €80 after a call-credit reciept was found on a beach.. they traced the top-up number on it to find out who had used it

I tried to get out of it by saying that they had no proof it was me that discarded it

Still ended up paying the fine though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Spore

Draw a picture of a spider and mail it to them. It's been known to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Spore wrote: »
    Draw a picture of a spider and mail it to them. It's been known to work
    Brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I was fined €80 after a call-credit reciept was found on a beach.. they traced the top-up number on it to find out who had used it

I tried to get out of it by saying that they had no proof it was me that discarded it

Still ended up paying the fine though

Seriously???????

they can do that:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Seriously???????

they can do that:eek:

Hey Mahatma, I know that you have gotten out of fines! What did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just put a bullet into the envelope with the letter.
    At the end of the letter put

P.S. If you don't cancel this fine the next bullet you receive will be travelling alot faster.
    Swift post?

My girlfriend did once, for parking in a bus stop (d'oh!). She basically said she was too poower to afford it and they knocked 90% off it.

But she can afford a car and insurance?
    The court system fails again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Terry wrote: »
    Swift post?

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I got a parking fine in Naas once and got it dismissed by writing to the town hall and saying the warden was too keen and by the time I got change and returned with the parking ticket he was gone and my car had been ticketed. The old man got away with one too he stuck an envelope in a bin in Dun Laoghaire and a got fine in the post for dumping domestic rubbish in a public place they quashed it when he replied something along the line of I live in Wicklow at place of outstanding natural beauty and more illegal dumps than I can count why would I drive to Dun Laoghaire to dump my rubbish! I suppose they realised the stupidity of it.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Got a "fixed penelty notice" once for no road tax.

Thing is the reason I had no road tax was because they wouldnt issue with a tax disc without an MOT certificate which I (along with half of Northern Ireland at the time) couldnt get because the MOT test centres centres were on strike.

I wrote them a b0ll1cking letter pointing out that if they were anyways competent they could have established this themselves by virtue of the fact that my records would have shown that I had applied for an MOT test appoinment two months before either MOT or Road tax were due. I told them there was no :mad::mad::mad::mad:ing way I was paying their "fine" and indeed unless I recieved a written apology within 14 days for attempting to extort money with menaces there was no way was I going to pay the road tax arrears either.

I didnt get the written apology although I didnt get a summons for not paying the "fixed penelty" either so technically it amounted to draw.
    n0brain3r wrote: »
    he stuck an envelope in a bin in Dun Laoghaire and a got fine in the post for dumping domestic rubbish in a public place

Could one get someone they didnt like framed on a charge of illegal dumping simply by putting their name and address on an envelope ?

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Could one get someone they didnt like framed on a charge of illegal dumping simply by putting their name and address on an envelope ?

Interesting. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

There was a show on RTE a few weeks back it was a repeat as I'd seen it before I don't remember the name and they followed a Litter Warden around Cork. He routed through rubbish bags somewhere for something with an address an issued a fine so I'd say it's well possible and judging by what happend to the old man I'm guessing someone stuffed a bag of rubbish in the bin and he stuck the envelope on top so they must do this all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

I was building my house back in '05, county council sent out letter for the contribution lights, water, paths etc. as i'm up a boreen just off the road sent back my letter saved myself a few grand. I was delighted with myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

n0brain3r wrote: »
    I got a parking fine in Naas once and got it dismissed by writing to the town hall and saying the warden was too keen and by the time I got change and returned with the parking ticket he was gone and my car had been ticketed.

I tried that too, even got a parking ticket on my way back to the car as I spotted the fine sitting on the windscreen. Stormed up to town hall and presented them with fine and ticket (issued two minutes later) but b*stards refused to let me off. They stated that if I had been parked in a car park instead of on-street they would have given me 10 minutes leeway. F***ers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Hey Mahatma, I know that you have gotten out of fines! What did you do?

He would be very silly to answer that.

He would be very silly to answer that.

Psssssst Hey Mahatma, PM me!

The anti-fun nazi police are on our tail!!

You can get away with more in Government than boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Psssssst Hey Mahatma, PM me!

The anti-fun nazi police are on our tail!!

You can get away with more in Government than boards.ie

Thank you .;)

Advertisement