Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some broken networks settings... O2 dongle banjaxed

Options
  • 01-03-2010 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

For the past few days, I've been trying to help a friend get an O2 dongle working again, and we're flat out of ideas. Can anyone give some advice, please?

I think the problem is some kind of broken network setting on the laptop (W7).

The dongle itself is fine, it works on another computer, XP.

But when put into the W7 laptop, the O2 software starts up OK, but it says 'no device detected'. The problem is related to the network adapter, when the dongle is plugged in, a new entry appears in the Device Manager under Network Adapters, but it's just called 'Network Adapter' and location etc is unknown - looks like a bad install.

When uninstalled, and reinstalled, it says that it didn't install properly, there was a problem at the Network Adapter stage.

This same laptop has a history of problems in that area, ESET firewall woudn't initialise properly (but a malwarebytes scan is clean, as was the ESET).... and it was upgraded in situ from Vista to 7.

So - is there a way to clear out the network settings completely on vista/W7 and go back to defaults? I remember seeing something called winsockfix on XP which helped fix network settings after a virus - but I gather it's not still in use, and wanted to ask for advice about that type of thing.

Any ideas welcome!

ps - many suggestions from O2 tech support have been tried, to no avail
    http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?8768-No-device-detected..

Comments

Advertisement