Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated towel rail from hot water tank

Options
  • 28-02-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Was wondering wither or not this is possible to do. Basically I have a a hot water boiler which is next door to the bathroom. I was wondering if it's possible to plumb a heated towel rail from it.

The idea is that it would heat up with the water.
    Here's the wall with the towel rail and here's the hot water tank just next door to it.

I don't know much about heating and plumbing but my folks were saying that you shouldn't mix the water. All advice, comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You can get direct fed rads and towel rails, they would be made from copper or stainless steel, very expensive.

Even at that I don't think it would work right. This may be a cheaper option

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Towel_Rail_Index/Towel_Rails/

Or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

would you go for a towel rad, rather than a rail?
    we have towel rad in bathroom (€90 in hardwear store) and its plubmed just like all the other rads throughout the house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Sorry, yes it is more of a Towel Rad that I am interested rather than a rail.

Basically I want something I can hang some washing off so I don't have to use a dryer.

I don't have any other Oil/Water radiators in the apartment, all the other heating is electric storage heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can get direct fed rads and towel rails, they would be made from copper or stainless steel, very expensive.

Even at that I don't think it would work right. This may be a cheaper option

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Towel_Rail_Index/Towel_Rails/

Or something similar

messrs wrote: »
    would you go for a towel rad, rather than a rail?
    we have towel rad in bathroom (€90 in hardwear store) and its plubmed just like all the other rads throughout the house

As pointed out by mickey if you go for this option you must buy a direct fed towel rail which is all copper. As suggested by messers you CANNOT use one of these rails as it will rust inside RAPIDLY.

if you dont believe this phone the marriott hotel in ashbourne. They fit 220 towel rails direct to the plumbing system and paid a costly price..

Engineers indeed.

Your best solution on the cheap would be an electric towel rail. Even a standard towel rail can be electrified now.

Advertisement