Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safest place to lock bikes?

Options
  • 28-02-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Yeah. Where?

Plz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Smear faeces all over your bike and you shouldn't have any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Was waiting for your predictable hipsterist quip. What if it was your bike you wanted to lock up? Or your child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I've heard rumours of a swipe in bike yard around botany bay. Been meaning to look for it myself

I'm guessing someone in view of a security place'd be good, or generally in somewhere busy like Front Square, but there must be a specific place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Was waiting for your predictable hipsterist quip. What if it was your bike you wanted to lock up? Or your child?

I was waiting for your pathetic counter-quip which was, as predicted, shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

To answer OP, try behind the security hut at Lincoln place entrance.
    On the rails by the crappy old chemistry (I think) building.
    I found it a pretty reliable place when I was in college.

enda1 wrote: »
    To answer OP, try behind the security hut at Lincoln place entrance.
    On the rails by the crappy old chemistry (I think) building.
    I found it a pretty reliable place when I was in college.

Hmm, that seems safe alright, but I'm in the Arts Block, so that's a bit out of the way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

phlegms wrote: »
    Smear faeces all over your bike and you shouldn't have any bother.
    phlegms wrote: »
    I was waiting for your pathetic counter-quip which was, as predicted, shíte.
    Is there a need to be so unhelpful? I know you're only having the laugh with him but do it on MSN or something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Hmm, that seems safe alright, but I'm in the Arts Block, so that's a bit out of the way.

Closer to the Arts Block, there is a swipe-access area at the back of Botany Bay, the entrance is next to the Pearse Street car gate (the black one that opens for a few hours morning and evening, off New Square). There's a security camera on the entrance to the bike area but I have found that the swipe card reader there can be a bit temperamental , so maybe leave an extra few minutes the first time you're using it.

+1 on the botany bay swipe card access, always underused too.

• Advertisement

Is there an option to put in your student number instead of swiping? Wouldn't like to be rushing for a lecture and miss it because of the annoying card readers in Trinity. That sounds perfect though, cheers. So it's across from the Screen Cinema somewhere, behind the bus stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

If it's anything like the card reader on the Pearse street gate (the little used one behind the civil engineering buildings) it's a complete lottery if your card will work or not.

Missed a few trains trying to be smart and using that gate. Turns out it's not smart.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Is there an option to put in your student number instead of swiping? Wouldn't like to be rushing for a lecture and miss it because of the annoying card readers in Trinity. That sounds perfect though, cheers. So it's across from the Screen Cinema somewhere, behind the bus stops?

I haven't been there in about a year and when I was last there, there was only swiping, no option for a student no. If you are locking up there while that Pearse St gate is open (up until 10am I think), there's usually a security guard at the gate so you could ask them to let you in if your card is acting up.

And yep, you're spot on with the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elche

your lock is as important as the location, well, nearly!:D if you dont have one already invest in a kryptonite lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

elche wrote: »
    your lock is as important as the location, well, nearly!:D if you dont have one already invest in a kryptonite lock.

+1

I have a kryptonite mini u-lock and feel safe leaving it anywhere on campus provided it is locked to an immovable object. At the moment I at the bike stands just beside the globe - hassle free

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Power Chords

I locked my new mountain bike outside the security hut beside the medical center, where pretty much only security go, definitely not an area the public wander through. I used a lock that cost 70euro. The bike was stolen, so was the lock. So, I'd say, not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

I locked my new mountain bike outside the security hut beside the medical center, where pretty much only security go, definitely not an area the public wander through. I used a lock that cost 70euro. The bike was stolen, so was the lock. So, I'd say, not there.

Yeah, I'd advise you to stay way from places like that. The key to keeping your bike say is to keep it in a really busy area, not a quiet one. If someone stumbles across a bike in a secluded spot they are able to try and break the lock without fear of being disturbed.

The bike racks at the Pomodoro sculpture (link below) is in a generally busy area so wouldn't be a bad bet. If you buy a proper U lock and a cable lock to ensure the wheels don't go anywhere then you should be set.

http://www.carolynmunn.com/ukkris/images/ball%20sculpture%20at%20trinity%20college%2001.jpg

Advertisement